• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Call for Nominations, Flying Sites/Clubs for 2016 GSN Group Therapy Extravaganza

TCaptain

30cc
I've heard some great things about Apache Pass and hosting some rather large (20,000+) events.

The Ice House Fly-in is coming up this October; I have it on my calendar to attend.

Hey guys, Capt. Roll just brought this thread to my attention. I am Toycannon on FG and RCG's. I am a Past President of ARCA "Austin Radio Control Association" and have been the CD for numerous events including the :Hucktoberfest in Austin for several years and most recently last year's inaugural "Ice House Fly In" at Apache Pass (about 30 miles N.E. of Austin). Last year we launched with two flight lines (1) 3D planes and (1) Helicopters. We were very pleased with 143 registered pilots attending. This year there will be four flight lines (1) 3D planes (1) pattern or warbird planes (1) Helicopters (1) FPV. This venue as Capt. Roll noted is very unique in that it includes lots of space (over 5000 acres) two restaurants "Ice House" and "Steak House" on site. Full RV hook ups including Wifi, Historical areas along the San Gabriel River. Hotels near by in Rockdale (8 miles away). We are 30 min. away from Austin, TX (lots to do there). Anyway, just wanted to join in the conversation, say hello, and for those coming to our event Oct. 15-18 pre-register on RC Flightdeck before Sept.1 $20.00 includes pilot fee, Event T-Shirt, (1) Stretch of Raffle tickets.
We are willing to openly discuss any ideas going forward with this great idea.
Cheers to all of you!
Doug
knelle@swbell.net
P.S. I will make a formal post in the Event section regarding this years "Ice House Fly In".

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Great post Doug and thanks for chiming in! I'll be sure to give you a call when the time comes!

Bipeguy03

150cc
The full scale airport I live on would love to host a big RC event like this, they've even said they would close to full scale traffic for a few days.. The problem is having room on the flight line for pitting. With Almost 5,000 feet of runway we could set up 2 flight lines, but with the lack of room on either side of the runway I'm not sure we could pull it off.

One suggestion would be to contact Mike Chappie at the Sidney Airport here in Ohio. They hosted the D.O.G.S Airshow last year because they couldn't hold it at the museum.

They did and excellent job even though the pilot turnout could have been better (some of that was due to crappy weather). But they also expressed and interest in holding more RC events, and the town is really behind it as well.

http://www.sidneymunicipalairport.com/index.html

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
The full scale airport I live on would love to host a big RC event like this, they've even said they would close to full scale traffic for a few days.. The problem is having room on the flight line for pitting. With Almost 5,000 feet of runway we could set up 2 flight lines, but with the lack of room on either side of the runway I'm not sure we could pull it off.

One suggestion would be to contact Mike Chappie at the Sidney Airport here in Ohio. They hosted the D.O.G.S Airshow last year because they couldn't hold it at the museum.

They did and excellent job even though the pilot turnout could have been better (some of that was due to crappy weather). But they also expressed and interest in holding more RC events, and the town is really behind it as well.

http://www.sidneymunicipalairport.com/index.html

I'd LOVE to see full scale airports embracing big events like this. I'll put them on the list and see what they have to say.

Thanks!
Bart

4DigitHP

50cc
I would say the 3D Farm but we don't meet the long list you posted. We meet part where you say a club who loves to throw a party. We are on our 5 th year running an event with around 75 pilots. But we throw a party Saturday night and feed about 200 people. We only have 1 flight line. A small PA system. We only have 1 restroom for men and 1 for the ladies. We have never sold food on site. Everyone always eats for FREE! We aren't an AMA site. We are close to town but it's a small town. The best thing about our little place is it is uber-uber successful .

On the hunt for 1000WHP

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
Id like to kick in another stab for apache pass as well! Its my favorite place to visit with plenty of room for multiple flight lines, some cool fpv areas, and some d@*! good food at the ice house (and the adult beverages are cold too) literally a stones throw away from the flightline. Also, several small towns near by with great food and then Austin's not far either. It is definitely a worthy place for a GSN group therapy session!!

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
With our 1st Anniversary contest behind us I'd like to put the focus back on planning for next year.

I think the format will be to let you guys use the GiantScaleNews.com Group Therapy Tour name for your local events if you'd like and we'll do the biggy event to be called the GiantScaleNews.com Intensive Care Weekend!

I'm going to tally up your nominations/suggestions and start reaching out to sites that might be interested in hosting our event. We need to find a couple of suggestions in Canada as well as with our friends in Israel ( @TazmanianDevil ) so they can also be included in the fun. We don't want to rule anyone out so if you are in other countries and want to join us for the GSN Intensive Care Weekend please speak up and be counted!

Thank!
Bart