• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Build Log Top Flite P-40E Warhawk Gold Edition kit

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Short of 3 hours of work this weekend and the other wing half is almost complete. Just need to work on the flap recess area to finish it up. Retracts and struts will be ordered soon. I did test join the two wing halves to see if the rib 1 angles were good. Looks good now, but we'll see once the jigs get in place.

100_6360.JPG 100_6362.JPG 100_6363.JPG 100_6364.JPG 100_6365.JPG 100_6366.JPG

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Scored a NIB OS .91 four stroke from the LHS for 150.00 including tax. Love getting deals. Retracts were ordered earlier this week and are in transit. Went with the Wingspan Retracts 100* rotating set with struts that were designed for this kit. The 100* angle fully extended will help prevent typical warbird nose overs.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Scored a NIB OS .91 four stroke from the LHS for 150.00 including tax. Love getting deals. Retracts were ordered earlier this week and are in transit. Went with the Wingspan Retracts 100* rotating set with struts that were designed for this kit. The 100* angle fully extended will help prevent typical warbird nose overs.

Smart choice, I hated their tendency to nose over!

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Got in about 3.5 hours of work on the plane this weekend plus the biggest 2 purchases left for the plane.

Earlier in the week I ordered the retracts. I went with Wingspan Retracts 100* rotating servoless retracts that were specially designed and built for this kit. The 100* happens when they are fully extended. R/C Warbirds have a tendancy to nose over, the 100* angle helps cut down on this tendancy since the wheels are positioned significantly forward of the CG. They should arrive sometime this week.

Saturday my dad called me from K/C Hobby about a deal on an O.S. .91 four stroke that was too good to pass up. A N.I.B O.S. .91 four stroke for $150.00 before tax. So I jumped on this as it was too good to pass up (normally $300+ for a new engine of this size). This engine will have plenty of power to pull the Warhawk around the sky in an almost scale like fashion (maybe just a tad faster/more powerful).

Saturday I finished up the second wing panel. The build went exactly like the first wing panel so nothing fancy or different to report. I did however find one mistake I made on both wing panels. But was fixed. I was taught to never throw away your scraps as you build because they may come in handy later. Well, I discovered I didn't take the wing AFT TE at the flaps all the way to wing rib 1. So I found my cut off scraps for this, and glued them in place as needed. Doing so means I'll have more sanding do to later, but a complete structure. So, lesson to pass on is: never throw your scraps away.

Sunday's work involved modifying ribs 8 and 9 in both panels for the aileron servo rails since I'm going with a servo per aileron and not the bell crank system the plans recommended. The work here was straight forward. Using the servo rails that are provided for the aileron and payload release servos for the middle of the wing, mark appropriate locations on the ribs, using a sharp hobby knife cut out the markings, test fit the rail, tweak as needed, test fit the servo to ensure clearance.

Next up is figuring out the servo wire routing for the flap and retract ailerons, making those modifications, then on to joining the wing panel. I think I have a plan for what I want to do, but I want the retracts in hand first to see if there will be any interference around the landing gear. I may get the servo wiring done this Saturday. I won't get any work done Sunday as Sunday is the Flying Tigers at Jordan Lake, NC, annual Club Fall Fun Fly and I'll be out there with my dad and a few of my planes.

100_6372.JPG 100_6368.JPG 100_6369.JPG 100_6373.JPG

SnowDog

looks good...+1 on the "never throw anything away" mentality...I do that as well...my scraps from one build usually help when I need a piece "just about that size" for some other build or more frequently these days, repair work on an ARF. :) I did servo rails for my P-51 just as you described instead of the single servo as described on the plans...liked it much better. Keep up the good work and great deal on the engine!

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Sorry for the long delay in posts. I started a few weeks ago trying to fit the WingspanRetracts LG I bought. After trial and error I saw I'll have to cut a small gap in the spar to make room for the LG. I'll post pics when the time gets here. So over the weekend this is what I did:

Got in an hour of work. Glued on some 1/16 ply to cover the hole in the LG box I had cut (made sure to match the grain direction), then broke out the Dremel and cut the holes for routing the flap and aileron servo wires, then sanded the spars and LE flush with rib 12, then cut sections out of rib 1 in preparation for the dihedral braces. Sorry, no pics right now as I didn't have any camera with me.