• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Build Log Top Flite P-40E Warhawk Gold Edition kit

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Now that the GWS P-38 has flown, my to-do list includes cleaning up the build table and getting back to this bird.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Cleaned off the build table today from the mess left from the GWS project. Double checked the retract alignment, was happy so the 30 minute epoxy went on. Once this round dries the retracts come off and epoxy fillet is applied.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
July is not here yet! :D

Babies are awesome...enjoy every moment...time goes by way too fast with our kids...

Yup, especially when they get old enough to know what r/c planes and helis are. My first son is at that age and thinks every brown box is an airplane box. Now that I have my AS3xtra I'm back in the 3D world, and can't wait for him to see this fly in the yard.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
LG Tri stock reinforcement and epoxy fillet done on Saturday. Sunday: Wrapped up the work on the wings for now. I'll come back to do the sheeting and wing tip blocks after I get all my servo wires routed, servos mock installed, etc... to ensure I don't need to do more work on servo wire holes.

Start working on the left flap, which consisted of cutting a sheet of balsa to the proper width, gluing a strip of plywood on the TE, marking all the rib and spar locations, then gluing the LE block on. I stopped here because the instructions then said "glue the Flap Spars in place. They can be cut to shape now or sanded to shape later." I've not found any pre cut balsa spar ribs yet and the strips of balsa that match the width and height dimmensions but are needed for the ailerons. I thought maybe the ribs I cut off the wings for the flaps would be used, but there's not enough of these cut offs. So I'll be hunting and figuring this out, or jumping over to build the ailerons to know how much balsa I'll have left over.

attachment.php

attachment.php

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Friday:
Was a management directed day off. So more building! Found the precut balsa for the flaps. So the ribs and stringers were glued on and initial sanding (shaping of ribs) done.

Sunday:
Started working on the right flap. Got the base together and ribs marked as well as the marks for the stringers. There's going to be a lot of sanding in the TE so I'm planning to send both at the same time. Hence why I stated the build of the right one.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Monday night:
Right flap got framed up and is now waiting for sanding. The build went just like the left flap, so no surprises or anything different. I get building time or backyard flying time now that the Bachelorette is back on TV. I can't stand the show but the wife likes it.

SnowDog

Wow - those flaps look very sturdy! Really like the pics, thanks for posting.

How big are the ailerons as compared to the flaps?

Your LG tri-stock reinforcement is also very nice.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Wow - those flaps look very sturdy! Really like the pics, thanks for posting.

How big are the ailerons as compared to the flaps?

Your LG tri-stock reinforcement is also very nice.

Thanks for the complements. The ailerons get built next, so we'll see. I think they'll about the same size, perhaps a smidgen smaller. Everything I've read on this kit indicates with flaps she lands like a ***** cat.