• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Build Log Top Flite P-40E Warhawk Gold Edition kit

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Flaps are sanded and built. Just need to trim the stinger caps. Next up are the ailerons.

attachment.php

attachment.php

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Flaps were sanded down to fit, for now. The right flap didn't have a nice flat, straight edge at the wing root. This one required significant sanding to get a rough fit. More will have to be sanded off later to make room for Monokote. Also discovered, the TE of the right wing half is bowed/warped in the middle of the flap area. Fortunately my experienced builder was in town, took a look, and we have a plan to straighten it by essentially shimming the TE where needed.

While the Bachelorette is on tonight, I should be able to get started on the ailerons. With Baby #2 due in 3-4 weeks, my goal is to get the ailerons built and then go on a long hiatus again. Something about sleep deprivation and not having time to do much other than change diapers.

attachment.php

SnowDog

nice progress made so far...understand about the hiatus with a new baby on the way...been there, done that...hiatus lasted 15 years :|

Keith_3150

New to GSN!
Nice work so far, I received the same kit for Christmas. Haven't started it yet as all I have done are foamy scratch-builds so far. I have started on two smaller rubber band balsa builds to kind of get my feet wet. I will definitely be following your progress. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to see her done and in the air.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Nice work so far, I received the same kit for Christmas. Haven't started it yet as all I have done are foamy scratch-builds so far. I have started on two smaller rubber band balsa builds to kind of get my feet wet. I will definitely be following your progress. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to see her done and in the air.

Welcome to the balsa builders club! We all have CA'ed our fingers to each other or the wood. A Top Flite warbird kit is not what I'd recommend for a for a first time balsa build. But if you have some experienced builders to help you and as a source for answers to your questions you should be OK. My schedule is one that allows me build time of about 4-5 hours a week, if that. So I'm progressing very slowly. So you may pass me depending in your schedule.

Before you start your build make sure your build surface is 100% flat and can hold T-pins. A non-flat build surface will cause the plane to not be flat and straight. T-pins will be used to hold pieces down while glue dries, especially wing spars and ribs. Stock up on wax paper. You'll lay it on the plans to build on top and protect your plans. Feel free to PM me any questions, thoughts, pics, etc... My build time is about to hit a nose dive for a while with a newborn being here.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Well, my hiatus due to a newborn is starting earlier than anticipated. The weekends left before he's here are dwindling and so much is left to be done around the house. I'm hoping this only ends up being a few months break. At least I'm the start of the ailerons and not in the middle.

Oh, and my next warbird arrives late this week. Being a GWS C-47 the TF P-40E build will be interrupted briefly while I figure out the mods to the C-47 and build it at some unknown time in the future.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Well, baby is doing his thing and we've had to change plans several times. So I got back in the build briefly today. I made sure there was left and right aileron plans (control horn block placement concerns) then marked the centerline on both sides of 1 aileron LE and then the rib locations on 1 aileron base. They are built like the rudder and elevator halves, so don't expect many if any pics.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Spent about 30-45 minutes last night on the build. I was able to frame up one aileron. The build of this aileron was just like the rudder in having to glue an aileron base to the aileron LE, cut ribs for both sides, and glue the ribs in place. Next up for this aileron is initial sanding/shaping of the ribs.

attachment.php

attachment.php

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Second aileron is now framed. Stork is making its delivery this weekend, so don't expect to see me around the forums for a while.