• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Article: DOC AUSTIN - Testing: Hi Tec's New HS5070MH Servos

gyro

GSN Contributor
48" Extreme Flight Edge - Sweet :)

Thanks gyro I'm pretty sure u know I mean low and slow and high fast energy

I do.... But you asked the same question in a different way so I figured I'd change my answer up too :)

I've got some EXTENSIVE experience with the 2820 motor.... Used every published wind from 650 through 950, and some others that were just for test.

I recommended the best combo of Kv and prop choice from my testing and experience.

That's really all I can do. Good luck

dougb

50cc
Yup, it's the magic combo - motor is great on 4S. The 13x6.5 prop is perfect. Hovering is easy, low and slow is fun and full throttle climbs are amazing. I had my doubts too but Gyro is the man. :)

Doug B.

dribar

70cc twin V2
Got a balancing question for you all:

This is my 5th 48” EXP from EF, and the first time I’ve had a balance issue. If I do the 45% upline inverted test that’s in the manual, I balloon like crazy. This morning I got the EZBalancer back out and it’s dead nut on balance. Just in case, I hung it from some fish line around the main wing tube, put it back together and it was balanced perfectly. So…. Multiple flights, lots’ of battery sliding and I still can’t get away from the plane acting like it’s extremely tail heavy.

My battery is all the way forward so do I add weight to the front just to get the ballooning to stop? …or just trust that the model is “balanced” by the book and learn to fly it as is? I think I read Doc Austin saying a few years back that he experienced this as well (Doc?) and Chris H has said many times not to play with the thrust angles….

On a side note – if I keep the power at half, she flies fine. It’s all about trying to tweak the perfect balance and that dang inverted 45 upline test is killing me.

Thoughts?

Doc Austin

70cc twin V2
Trim the plane at full throttle and I believe that will cure a lot of things.

If that doesn't work, add some lead to the nose. Sometimes they just come out tail heavy, especially if you are running an HS85MG on the elevator. I balance mine so that they drop a little when I roll them over, and I trim it at full throttle. The 45 degree method is more precise, but I like to get it close and move the pack around until I get a really smokin' flight. Then I mark the spot on the tray with a sharpie.

[video=vimeo;115548845]https://vimeo.com/115548845[/video]​

Please check out my Video Showcase: 48" and 60" Edge EXP Bonanza

dribar

70cc twin V2
Trim the plane at full throttle and I believe that will cure a lot of things.

If that doesn't work, add some lead to the nose. Sometimes they just come out tail heavy, especially if you are running an HS85MG on the elevator. I balance mine so that they drop a little when I roll them over, and I trim it at full throttle. The 45 degree method is more precise, but I like to get it close and move the pack around until I get a really smokin' flight. Then I mark the spot on the tray with a sharpie.

[video=vimeo;115548845]https://vimeo.com/115548845[/video]​

Please check out my Video Showcase: 48" and 60" Edge EXP Bonanza

Thanks DOC. I was hoping you'd respond. I put a 4000mah battery in there this past weekend and things got better. I'll try your method too. How's things going? I moved to Nokomis so I'm flying at the Venice field - very nice. Been there?

Doc Austin

70cc twin V2
Thanks DOC. I was hoping you'd respond. I put a 4000mah battery in there this past weekend and things got better. I'll try your method too. How's things going? I moved to Nokomis so I'm flying at the Venice field - very nice. Been there?

4000mah on a 48" plane? That's a very heavy battery for that plane. How far are you from SPARKS? Maybe youy can bring it by some time and let me take a look at it. Something is not quite right if you have to fly it that nose heavy.

dribar

70cc twin V2
Flew great this weekend. That battery 1/4 " from the wing tube puts it right on CG. The 2600 mah batteries need to be slid up front.