• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Aerobeez 45% Extra 300 assembly

thurmma

150cc
You will like that tank. I have one in each of my 40% planes. Pulled dual 32oz Fortitude tanks from both planes in exchange for the single 50oz tank.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Well, I had a gnarly headache most of the day yesterday. As soon as it started to clear, I was out of bed and went to work on the Extra. First thing I needed to do was fill the hole where the DA200 mufflers poked through, then glue a new sheet of 1/8" ply over the front to help reinforce what is already there.

20160811_171055.jpg

Needed some longer mounting bolts since I bought ones that were about 1/2" too short- somehow I managed to cross thread the nut onto the bolt (after it was half way onto the bolt already :oblong::confused:) and wound up having to break the bolt to get it off. Luckily I had another bolt in my bins that fit right in after some trimming. I also screw'd the firewall to help strengthen it. I feel confident this firewall can handle anything I can throw at it :)

20160811_183653.jpg

Today I am going to work on getting the covering all tightened back up and cleaned up. The airplane has been sitting in the Aerobeez warehouse for a couple of months by the time I picked it up so that wreaked havoc with the covering. Took me about 45 minutes to get one wing panel looking like new yesterday :oblong:

Next up is peeling the junior stickers off of the wings and then figuring out how to best patch up the holes in the cowl (I can tell they will be nowhere near what I will need for the ZDZ mufflers).

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I know :)

Speaking of heat guns, did more work on the covering today. She's all nice and tightened up. The turtle deck was the worst, lots of gas bubbles that had to be massaged out with the iron.

13909319_10211054393622688_5771987197445726105_o.jpg

I am going to polish up the covering using some motorcycle spray cleaner/polish, should shine right up!

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Decided that I should go with 7980's on the elevators and rudder and use 7950's on the ailerons to save on some cost. Should be able to setup the elevators this weekend since I have some 2" 24t SWB arms already.

20160819_124025.jpg

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Installed the 7980's in my stabs today. I think 2 should be sufficient for how I fly, I've watched @Terryscustom fly his 40'cent and they seem to be fine with one servo on each elevator.

If not then I'll just have to get a couple more servos, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

20160822_104311.jpg

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Update time, haven't done one of these in a bit.

Both wings have servos, went with HS-7980TH's in them since that's what the pockets were cut for. The rudder gets HS-M7990THs because we are out of stock of 7980's :oblong:

I have batteries, propeller, mufflers, and rudder servo arms now, just need a few little odds and ends. Waiting on the landing gear as well.

20161006_091423.jpg

Since the 7980 case is larger than a standard size servo I had to make some 1/8" ply rails for the servos on each side to sit atop so they would not contact each other inside. I did also glue some 1/8" rails inside of the fuselage so I could really give the servo screws something solid to bite into (essentially clamping to the fuselage). Looks as though there were standard size servos back here which have a different hole pattern, thus the plywood inside the fuselage as well (the hole patterns were close, but not close enough).

20161005_132739.jpg

Last edited:

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Life has been busy as of late!!! Looks like I should have everything I'll need to finish this thing this week, just waiting for it all to come in the mail.

Last night I bolted up the main gear (waiting on wheels and axles), tailgear, and slapped the cowl on to appreciate my hard work.

20161016_184904.jpg

20161016_184915.jpg

20161016_185811.jpg