• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

91" Extreme Flight Extra

skibum44

70cc twin V2
Repost if what I posted on the RCG power systems thread:

As you know I flew the Falcon 24x10 today and it is also a fine prop. DA70 is strong and running very well, without a hiccup. Still could probably use a bit of leaning on the top end, I am just being conservative as I don't want to lean her to much. I think the DA70 on stocks is the perfect setup for the 91" Extra... it gives 2:1 pull to weight at a weight that allows for stable low and slow. I also found I need to add a bit of air exit as the temps warm up. Thought I could get away with my small exit hole in the cowl with baffling, but I had to run a cooling low throttle line after a rolling sequence to keep head temp under 290°F, no biggie as I will add two small louvers to the cowl (already have) or open up some of the tunnel.

Like I said F 24x10 is a nice prop, but not my favorite and I will be trying the 24x9 and 25x8w again now that I have a bit more feul through the 70. It was almost as fast as the 24x10TH, but has better throttle response for low and slow which makes sense as it is almost a ounce lighter. Pull was a whole pound stronger too at warmer temps, so I assume it should be more. That said the 24x9 and 25x8w are a superior low and slow prop and have decent speed with a combustion engine. Only my summer testing under similar temps and a broken in engine will give a fair comparison. Plus I plan to have gps speed to to give a definitive answer on speed. If you are strickly doing XA and are into speed I would highly recommend the 24x10TH or falcon 24x10. Hope this helps some of you that are on the fence in deciding what props to try.

My ranking as of now, but remember I am more into low and slow to mild XA.
1- unsure if it's the falcon 25x8w or 24x9
2- Falcon 24x10
3- Vess 24B
4- Mejzlik 24x10TH

My new club field is nice as it has no obstructions for nearly a mile in all directions and should be a good setting as things turn green. I am pretty excited. Not to mention a grill for use and camping allowed for up to 3 days. Down side it is a 1.5hr drive.

Pullout power of the Falcon 24x10:

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Well we had a break in the weather this afternoon so we head to the field and got several flights in. The winds were more than I would have liked but the Extra did not care. In fact it did not phase it a bit. I had high hopes and expectations and the plane delivered even more. The DA 70 ran great and sounded great too. Balance was spot on being very neutral. KE coupling was very good. I did work in some medium speed tumbles and it does not lack for any authority. That's to all who paved the way before me providing great information.
It feels great!

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
Great maiden today Ray; plane looks awesome and the DA70 seems rock solid already. I think the Extra will be able to deliver everything you expect it to do and then some.

Phil.Griffin

70cc twin V2
Well we had a break in the weather this afternoon so we head to the field and got several flights in. The winds were more than I would have liked but the Extra did not care. In fact it did not phase it a bit. I had high hopes and expectations and the plane delivered even more. The DA 70 ran great and sounded great too. Balance was spot on being very neutral. KE coupling was very good. I did work in some medium speed tumbles and it does not lack for any authority. That's to all who paved the way before me providing great information.
It feels great!
Glad you're having a good time with it. I love mine. I have nearly 300 flights on it.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Wow, 300 is a lot!!!! That's almost 3 flights per day, every single day of the week for two years!! I have a lot of time on mine but maybe closer to 100 flights.

Phil.Griffin

70cc twin V2
Nah.. 300 is easy. (And it's actually 290 according to my timer on the 11X)
Just a few flights per weekend'll rack 'em up pretty quick.

Phil.Griffin

70cc twin V2
The 91 Extra has been my go-to plane for a while now. It has taken the bulk of my abuse by far. My 91 Yak just hit 100 flights after a year+. The 104 basically sits in the trailer at 66 flights and the 105 has 20. I burn about 10 gallons of gas every 10-12 weeks. It's pretty easy to fly year round here in Alabama. And I might add, on the 104, P-Huck has made most of those 66. I rarely fly it.