• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 50cc Scratch Build From My Own Design Revisited

Wacobipe

100cc
What brand of paint were you planning on using?

Most likely Nason...local paint store carries a variety but seems t think it's just as good as other options...I'm happy t hear your suggestions though....haven't bought the product yet, except primer which is 2k Nason.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Most likely Nason...local paint store carries a variety but seems t think it's just as good as other options...I'm happy t hear your suggestions though....haven't bought the product yet, except primer which is 2k Nason.
I've never used Nason basecoat. I've used a lot of their other products. Their epoxy primer, 2k primer, clear and other thing including their single stage color. I've had good luck with all of it.

BalsaDust

It may not be for everybody and my color match was slightly off (I think because I used to dark of a primer under neath) but on my latest project I use a latex house paint. I cut it with minwax water based polyurethane and sprayed it on. After it cured for a couple of days I just used rattle can gloss clearcote and it all turned out great.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Saturday I put a light coat of primer on the hatch after fixing one small spot where I sanded through the glass and resin and hit wood. It was a tiny spot so I hit it with thin CA on my finger, then sanded it smooth after it hardened. I also sprayed the white on the cowl. That night I hit the hatch with some 600 grit and it's ready to paint. That means everything is ready!

20160730_152616_resized.jpg
20160730_161621_resized.jpg
20160730_173910_resized.jpg

Saturday night I also started masking the cowl for the black checkers. I worked on it more last night and now I don't think I like the size of the checkers, too big. :( The way I did it involved cutting the tape on the drawn lines with an X-acto, so if I want to re-do it I need to sand and re-paint first. So, I think I'm going to finish cutting the squares around the front edge tonight, and spray the black tomorrow and unmask it and see exactly what it looks like before I panic.

20160731_220121_resized.jpg

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
That looks awesome. Might I ask how you plan out the checkers so they are the same size all the way around.
Since the cowl gets smaller as it goes forward every one is a slightly different size. I masked the line at the rear where I wanted the checkers to stop, then I measured around the cowl in the back and divided that by the number of checkers I wanted then marked them with a pencil. I then measured forward using the same measurement as the width and made my lines around the circumference of the cowl for all the checkers. The lines that run front to back all get narrower as the go forward so I used a piece of tape and masked each one separately by eye and then drew my lines. When I cut each line I used a piece of tape as a guide.