• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 50cc Scratch Build From My Own Design Revisited

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Nice! Fly that thing!

Mine would be similar to this Krill Spark, only bigger and the chin of the cowl wouldn't be so sloped back. I would also use a normal rudder, not their style with the splayed out trailing edge.
yeR7n8spark-evo-2.jpg

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I finished sanding the cowl tonight. All that's left is to reprime the hatch. I'm almost out of excuses to start painting this thing.

I'm planning on taking the hatch to the shop tomorrow and squirting some primer on it. I think I'll take the cowl with me and paint the white for the checkers, if I can find some white Spies Hecker basecoat on the shelf. I usually use DuPont basecoat, but Spies can go for days before you clear it and still have good adhesion. That way I won't have to rush masking the checkers.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Nice! Fly that thing!

Mine would be similar to this Krill Spark, only bigger and the chin of the cowl wouldn't be so sloped back. I would also use a normal rudder, not their style with the splayed out trailing edge.
View attachment 84794

Man that is one beautiful looking plane. You are a glutton for punishment, that will be one difficult fuselage to build and plank, but you thinking of making out of fiberglass. Must say love to follow you while you build it. And would probably be dying to copy and build one as well.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Man that is one beautiful looking plane. You are a glutton for punishment, that will be one difficult fuselage to build and plank, but you thinking of making out of fiberglass. Must say love to follow you while you build it. And would probably be dying to copy and build one as well.
I've been reading and watching everything I can find on building a fiberglass fuselage. Techniques and opinions on how to do it are all over the map. As are opinions on resins, what some people love other people hate. But I'm in no hurry to decide.

Wacobipe

100cc
... I usually use DuPont basecoat, but Spies can go for days before you clear it and still have good adhesion. That way I won't have to rush masking the checkers.

OK @Jetpainter ...now,you have me thinkin'. I am painting the Raven in a 3 color scheme (red, silver, grey) and it will be my first base/clear paint job . I was unaware base coats had a limited life before they needed to be cleared. School me please! What do I need to be concerned about as the 3 colors, each of which will need to be masked between colors? I don't think there s any way I can mask and spray all 3 in a day (or even a weekend).

Thanks!

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
OK @Jetpainter ...now,you have me thinkin'. I am painting the Raven in a 3 color scheme (red, silver, grey) and it will be my first base/clear paint job . I was unaware base coats had a limited life before they needed to be cleared. School me please! What do I need to be concerned about as the 3 colors, each of which will need to be masked between colors? I don't think there s any way I can mask and spray all 3 in a day (or even a weekend).

Thanks!
Both DuPont (Actually Axalta now), and PPG list a 24 hour window for recoating their basecoats. Spies Hecker does not give a limit on the time unless you used a hardener in the base, which there is no reason to do on a model. Now, in the real world, I have fudged that 24 hours many times, and never had an issue except on my work truck. When it was a few months old I did a multicolor stripe job on it. The red, which was the first color sat for several days before I finished all the colors, and after many years the clear started to come off the red.

On a model that has limited sun exposure compared to a car I doubt it would be an issue, I'm just using the Spies because I have both it and DuPont here, so I may as well use it, plus, it usually covers better.

What brand of paint were you planning on using?

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Is there a place where one can find a good step-by-step tutorial for shooting a base coat-clear coat system? Written for newbs who have ZERO experience! I realize that such a thing might/will vary depending upon the paint manufacturer, but would love to read, say a Nason or PPG or DuPont (Axalta) instructional document???

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
@Pistolera The best I can offer right now is links to the product pages for Chromabase and Nason basecoat. On each page you'll see where it says "Product Details" and "Packaging information" and others, click the one that says TDS. That is the link for PDF'S of the technical data sheets for the products.
The best advice I can give is to find a guy at the place your buying the paint from that can give you a quick rundown of what you need to know. TDS sheets are great, but they are more complicated than they need to be for model airplane use.
http://products.axaltacs.com/dcat/us/en/dr/product/ChromaBaseBasecoat.html?id=ChromaBaseBasecoat&nm=ChromaBase+Basecoat&ctl00$SiteSearch$SiteSearch2Button=

http://products.axaltacs.com/dcat/us/en/nsn/product/IFQuality.html?id=IFQuality&nm=Ful-Base+Basecoat+IF+Quality&ctl00$SiteSearch$SiteSearch2Button=

If the links don't work, let me know.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Links worked fine....THANKS!!! Guess i'll start some reading. When I get back from vacation and then 3 IMAC contests in a row.....I'm gonna dive into getting my Krill painted....finally!!!