• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

50cc Motor Box Question?

bob_nj

70cc twin V2
I got a couple of AeroBeez/Peak 50cc Edges because I just couldn't resist the price point.

Question is, does anyone here have experience with this line, and the motor box does not have aluminum angle on like most other 50cc airframes.

Has anyone flown a 50cc with no angle on the motor box?

Thanks
Bob

-Rick-

100cc
Don't know about 50cc size but on Pilot 30cc size all it had was tri stock on the motor side of the mount. No pins, no angle plate, and I wiped out two of them and everything else was wrecked but motor and mount never let go.

Again, not 50cc.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey Bob,
I have an Aerobeez Like airframe. I say "Aerobeez Like" because although it is not an AEROBEEZ specifically, it is basically the same thing. Replacement cowl was ordered from Aerobeez when I changed the exhaust to canister. Perfect match and perfect color scheme match. Last year I put my 50cc Slick together with a DLE 55cc. This airframe did in fact have aluminum angle supports. My understanding, one of a couple of upgrades that the company attached to the airframe requested which set it apart from Aerobeez. Anyway, that being said...Mine does have aluminum angle supports. I am not sure I would fly anything with a 55cc or above without some sort of strengthening in place on the firewall. I mean if it were going to be a circle burner or it's a warbird, you'd probably be more than ok. But with a high energy airframe, I just don't think it wise to be without the support. I truly have seen motors "launched" and motors "dropped" and motors breaking free from airframes while still in flight. Not worth the possible loss of an airframe in my opinion.

bob_nj

70cc twin V2
Hey Bob,
I have an Aerobeez Like airframe. I say "Aerobeez Like" because although it is not an AEROBEEZ specifically, it is basically the same thing. Replacement cowl was ordered from Aerobeez when I changed the exhaust to canister. Perfect match and perfect color scheme match. Last year I put my 50cc Slick together with a DLE 55cc. This airframe did in fact have aluminum angle supports. My understanding, one of a couple of upgrades that the company attached to the airframe requested which set it apart from Aerobeez. Anyway, that being said...Mine does have aluminum angle supports. I am not sure I would fly anything with a 55cc or above without some sort of strengthening in place on the firewall. I mean if it were going to be a circle burner or it's a warbird, you'd probably be more than ok. But with a high energy airframe, I just don't think it wise to be without the support. I truly have seen motors "launched" and motors "dropped" and motors breaking free from airframes while still in flight. Not worth the possible loss of an airframe in my opinion.

njswede

150cc
I have the Aerobeez 50cc Slick v2 and it survived the season without braces. It looks like it has a pretty sturdy interlocking design. That reminds me I should take off the cowl and inspect it for cracks. :)

bob_nj

70cc twin V2
I agree, but it's just crazy how every Aerbeez build thread does not have the angle.

How do people get away with it :oblong:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I have the Aerobeez 50cc Slick v2 and it survived the season without braces. It looks like it has a pretty sturdy interlocking design. That reminds me I should take off the cowl and inspect it for cracks. :)
:way_to_go:

I agree, but it's just crazy how every Aerbeez build thread does not have the angle.
How do people get away with it :oblong:

I dunno.... there are some that make me stand back and scratch my head. LOL

njswede

150cc
I'm thinking a good interlocking design would be pretty sturdy, though. Is this a common failure mode? I wonder what the situation is with the Redwing airframes, as they pretty much share designs with Aerobeez. Do they have braces?

Anyway, if you experts think braces are really crucial, I may mod my Slick, because I really like how it flies.