• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

30cc profile from the ashes of a 70" RIP AJ Slick - Build Log

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I supplied Brigg with the remaining wood needed for this project and he got the balsa sheeting finished. We decided to make our cowl plug out of mdf (particle board). We had talked about making it out of foam and using acetone to dissolve it when finished but I wanted to be able to use it multiple times. We are going to try and use a multiple layered CAD design to get the pieces close so it will take minimal sanding compared to starting with a great big block. When the plug is done it should be good for making many more if we wanted to. I'm going to take some pics of the motor today with measurements so Brigg can get the firewall designed and start on the cowl plug. I'm optimistic that we will be able to start cutting some wood from those designs this week.

3dNater

We did some more designing and work tonight. Check out the changes to post number 3 entitled "motor box" :D

3dNater

alright nate. Who is your helper?

Ok, since you ask... here goes. I should have written something like this a long time ago honestly.

Brigg is my best friend. I share most of my hobby adventures with him and he has always been a great help to me in all of my modeling pursuits. He is the one that first got me into the hobby several years ago. He lent me his realflight sim for like 6 months. Then he helped me get my first glow plane rdy to fly. He taught me how to tune engines and coached me until I didn't need his help anymore. I hope every guy that wants to get into the hobby can find a Brigg to help them out. He just gives and gives...

Brigg has been working hard designing some amazing micro balsa kits. Right now he has a little 15" 3 channel trainer that flies amazingly well. It is basically the size of a Champ but flies WAY better. He has a little ultra stik that also flies really well. Because these planes are so light, and have wings held on by magnets, they are almost impossible to break. They simply don't carry enough inertia to break very much and the fixes are about as easy as foam. All of this while flying like... well... balsa :D. There will be a few 3d designs coming up soon as well. All of his efforts on the kit designs has gotten him trained up really well on his designing skills with the software he uses. The thing that has me so excited about this skinny slick stuff is that all I will have to do to make another one is just hit print. All of the parts are saved forever and can be easily duplicated on the laser. It is so freaking cool! :D

Now, lest I spurn another person who has been a great help to me... I have to mention my friend Mike K. Who has spent endless hours on google chat and phone calls on things from how to set up different things (lots of electric talk) to what projects we are interested in. All those hours I spent sitting at the bank waiting for customers to show up, I was chatting with Mike. He expanded my knowledge by exponential amounts and I can't thank Brigg for helping me in the hobby without thanking Mike as well. Between the two of them I think I have developed a pretty good grasp of the hobby... at least in the directions I have shown the most interest in. Aside from tutelage from those two... the forums have been my biggest source of personal research/reading/discussion and I extend a big thanks to all my online peeps :D

Last edited by a moderator: