• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 25% Krier Kraft build, a tribute to grampa.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Sorry for the lack of updates guys, haven't done much to the Krier as life got in the way a bit.

But I'm back on it with the final push to finish it. I should have pics tomorrow so stay tuned!

We all have that from time to time we're we just need to get some things sorted out. Or at times just Burned out and need to step away from it for a while, as long as you come back again.

Bipeguy03

150cc
On with decals!

I first printed of my decal set onto normal computer paper, cut them out and tape them to the airplane to ensure I had them the correct size. After making some size adjustments and printing them off and checking them again I had them where I wanted them.

531.jpg

The flag is going the wrong way on the tail, because I messed up the one going the right way... Need to be more careful when actually applying the decal! lol

532.jpg

I'll be ordering the vinyl N number (N5400E) this week.

Once I was happy with the sizes, I went back to my publisher file and added a few odds and ends decals to take up space on the paper, decal paper is expensive and I don't want to waste much space. The next issue I had was the paper feed wheels on my printer wouldn't feed the decal paper through the printer because it was too slippery....

The solution was to re-format the printer to print the 5.5x8.5 sheet in the middle of a standard 8.5x11 sheet and print it off again on computer paper. I then used this as a guide to tape the decal paper to the computer paper and feed that into the printer.....

SUCCESS!!

533.jpg

After I allowed the ink to dry for an hour or so, I sprayed the paper with the decal bonder to seal the inks in.

534.jpg

Now I took my test panel, which is also the panel I will take to the paint shop to get paint for the cowl and wheel pants matched with, and applied one of the flag decals as a test. Good thing is neither my Micro Set setting solution nor the Micro Sol softening solution caused any issues with the Dope or the decal inks.

535.jpg

Now I just need to clear coat my test panel after the Micro Sol completely dries to ensure that the clear doesn't damage the decals.

536.jpg

Making water slide decals is pretty fun, and while I wouldn't make anything bigger than I did for the Krier, I can see me making quite a bit of them in the future!

Bipeguy03

150cc
I've made a few over the years. It's a major plus when your printed decal is going on a white surface like yours.
Your getting close!

Yes definitely! I used the clear decal paper. I've read about using the white paper to get white decals but seems like it would be a trick to get them trimmed close enough to not have a white border.

Luckily, I don't have to deal with that this time :)

Bipeguy03

150cc
After testing the clear over the flag decal I put on my test panel and everything turned out okay, this evening I put the decals on the airplane. I also ordered the N number, which will probably be here middle of next week. Once I have that on, I can set about shooting the clear coat on the airframe and start thinking about paint for the wheel pants and cowl.

PICS!!

537.jpg

538.jpg

539.jpg

540.jpg

541.jpg

542.jpg

543.jpg

544.jpg

545.jpg

546.jpg

Bipeguy03

150cc
I finally got the N number vinyl in the mail today and got them put on this afternoon. So now all the decals are done and the airframe is ready for clear coat!

550.jpg

With the airframe ready for clear, it's also time to start getting the cowl and wheelpants ready to paint. So I started chasing out the pin holes in the cowl, luckily it looks like I got more than 95% of them with one pass of icing putty. Just a couple more spots to work out and I should be ready to paint!

551.jpg

And my paint guy nailed it again! Today I made it over to the paint store with my test panel and had the red and white matched (I already have black) and they are about as close to perfect as it gets!

Here's the white,

553.jpg

And here's the red,

554.jpg

All I have left to purchase is the muffler and a switch, and as long as I don't come across any issues (knock on wood) I should have this thing wrapped up in a few weeks :D