• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 25% Krier Kraft build, a tribute to grampa.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
The flag is going the wrong way on the tail, because I messed up the one going the right way...

I was going through your awesome pictures again and saw your quote about the flag and it instantly reminded me about the first time someone told me about the direction of a flag on an airplane. The gentleman that ran the autobody shop right next to mine, Al Braun, told me about it many years ago. Al was an awesome guy and an absolute fountain of knowledge about airplanes. He was a WW II pilot flying B26's. He built 2 homebuilts, a beautiful Skybolt and an SE5 replica, both built in a small garage at his house. He was part of a local group that was building 5 SE5's and Al built all the fuselages He also had a really cool Yellow S2-E Pitts.
It's funny how something as small as the direction of a flag can bring up so many memories.:)

And I see that you did fix the flag. :way_to_go:

Bipeguy03

150cc
I was going through your awesome pictures again and saw your quote about the flag and it instantly reminded me about the first time someone told me about the direction of a flag on an airplane. The gentleman that ran the autobody shop right next to mine, Al Braun, told me about it many years ago. Al was an awesome guy and an absolute fountain of knowledge about airplanes. He was a WW II pilot flying B26's. He built 2 homebuilts, a beautiful Skybolt and an SE5 replica, both built in a small garage at his house. He was part of a local group that was building 5 SE5's and Al built all the fuselages He also had a really cool Yellow S2-E Pitts.
It's funny how something as small as the direction of a flag can bring up so many memories.:)

And I see that you did fix the flag. :way_to_go:

That has been one of the best things about doing this thread, stirring up memories for a lot of people. Whether it is just a memory about the proper direction of a flag on an airplane (also, grampa would always gripe about a flag flying up wind also haha) or the memories that @Pistolera has shared. All of you guys have made this build, and this thread in particular a pure joy.

And when the Krier is done and flying, I'll start all over again with the 1/4 scale Hot Kanary. I hope you will all follow along with that one as well :)

As for the Krier, I put the black on the cowl and wheel pants this evening. White will go on I the morning, and red as soon as its ready after that. Hoping to spray clear on Sunday, so I'll be staring down the finish line :)

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
And when the Krier is done and flying, I'll start all over again with the 1/4 scale Hot Kanary. I hope you will all follow along with that one as well :)

I sure will!
Since mine is done and has flown, and I'm a glutton for punishment, I've been giving a lot of thought about my next project and I keep circling around a biplane. I just don't know if I want to draw my own from a scale subject like a Culp Special, buy plans like a Liberty Sport, or draw my own from my imagination like I did with "Miss Moana".

BalsaDust

I sure will!
Since mine is done and has flown, and I'm a glutton for punishment, I've been giving a lot of thought about my next project and I keep circling around a biplane. I just don't know if I want to draw my own from a scale subject like a Culp Special, buy plans like a Liberty Sport, or draw my own from my imagination like I did with "Miss Moana".

Use your imagination.

Bipeguy03

150cc
Some of you may remember last fall when I got the box of grampa's molds from one of his buddies the cowl for his Hot Kanary was in it. That's the next project for me, another grampa copy. The plans are from Model Airplane News, and it's one of those airplanes that looks bigger than it is. The wingspan is only 56 inches, the length is 61 inches and will have another Q35 on it (another ebay find).

It will be quite a bit easier than the Krier tho, not redesigning it just going to put it on a bit of a diet. It will still look like his, and just like the Krier it will be covered with fabric and dope... I really think I'm done with the plastic stuff :)

3 (2).jpg

4 (2).jpg

Grampa and his buddy (the one I got the molds from) built them together and reversed the color schemes, I have a couple more pictures of them together, but here is one for now.

9.jpg