• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 1/3 Scale Extra 330L Build.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Looking at the rudder and how it is put together looks a little flimsy but once the sheeting is on it all increases in strength. Seriously considering the counterbalance on the rudder weather to do it or not. Just wondering how much authority the rudder would lose without the counterbalance. Makes building the rudder a lot simpler.
63E7EAD9-059C-4933-823F-1381D7D78672.jpeg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Looking at the rudder and how it is put together looks a little flimsy but once the sheeting is on it all increases in strength. Seriously considering the counterbalance on the rudder weather to do it or not. Just wondering how much authority the rudder would lose without the counterbalance. Makes building the rudder a lot simpler.
View attachment 108931
Just my opinion, counter balance on a rudder for an aerobatic plane is kind of marginal. None of my aerobatic planes have the counter balance on the rudder. And all have really great authority. Even the Behemoth Yak and the Behemoth 330. As for the construction, don't over think it my friend. I am so guilty of this very thing. With the sheeting, the construction will be more than ample. As my son (the prior USAF aircraft structural engineer) keeps reminding me, the internal construction merely designs the shape. It is the skin that bares the weight and stresses.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Just my opinion, counter balance on a rudder for an aerobatic plane is kind of marginal. None of my aerobatic planes have the counter balance on the rudder. And all have really great authority. Even the Behemoth Yak and the Behemoth 330. As for the construction, don't over think it my friend. I am so guilty of this very thing. With the sheeting, the construction will be more than ample. As my son (the prior USAF aircraft structural engineer) keeps reminding me, the internal construction merely designs the shape. It is the skin that bares the weight and stresses.
Thanks for that no counterbalance makes life a lot easier and a lot simpler for the two bevels. Saved me some time and work.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
The elevators are built except for the radius on the LE and counterbalance, will do that just before the plane is covered just to easy to damage while building. Covered the end caps and added a very hard piece of balsa on the trailing edge of the elevator, soaked in thin CA always do this just something I do to help against hanger rash.
B016C3A4-EDA6-4A5A-9E98-BCA6FD0E4D53.jpeg
A2EF79D5-E499-417B-9C45-C6143D5DB7F5.jpeg
2A6EC028-8DEC-4916-8D84-91926FA40BAF.jpeg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well spent some time staring and the drawings and reading the manual and I do not like it. You have to build the fin and rudder completely and try to hand carve the bevels into rudder and fin. This is hard to do and get equal angles on both sides and flat. They do this because they want it all jigged so that it turns out flat to the surface. But it makes finishing the rudder and fin difficult. Going to build so that I can add the bevels to the rudder and fin after it is built.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well the rudder and fin are coming along nicely changed about 30% of it but it is easier to build and I can glue the bevels on afterwards. Makes life a little easier and the sheeting has something to glue to instead of try to edge glue it to the bevel. The photo with the weights is the fin waiting for the glue to dry and the other picture is the rudder still have to add some hard blocks and a hard block to the bottom corner and sheet it.
F8671221-6F43-412B-9D94-AA533E038F0A.jpeg
24075A8D-0E4B-407E-BB9E-E7E415E85A16.jpeg