• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

ZDZ 112 Champion mounting

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I think TBrum was running 14.5 inch headers with the ES pipes.

The engine might be a little more prone to getting hot if the headers are shorter than the peak RPM length.

Hows the midrange compared to mufflers?

Other than sound, not a lot of difference from mufflers, biggest gains are on the very low and up through the middle. The "punch" was a lot more DA120'ish. There is no "peak" as the RPM remains glass smooth throughout.

I will say I was able to get similar RPM's to what Tbrum was getting but it is so close to the edge of lean tuning I would never run my engine that way with how I fly. If I was floating around and doing an occasional upline then maybe but if you want to use the power you don't want to tune to those RPM's he's posted.

You are correct. my headers are 14.5 plus about 1/4" gap in the coupler, I forgot.

If you are going to run mufflers you can't beat the J&A muffs that Joe has for this engine. Second best option would be Jtec DLE111 mufflers but the front is not slanted enough for many cowls.

Just had an epiffany, while posting in the ZDZ lounge FB page........,

I could have not opened the choke all the way. It would make the engine run real rich, and make it virtually untunable.

This is how I found it today after work...... 20160420_173229.jpg

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
This is how I found it today after work......View attachment 54640

That would seem to limit your RPM's a bit! But we'll go easy on you, it's Spring and we're all getting back in the groove for flying.

I actually had this discussion today with @Flyrcjoe, I'm a super choke servo hater as it adds another thing to fail and a little weight but on the ZDZ's they sure to make life easy and simple. I did run a bell-crank with a rod out the side of the fuse on my ZDZ90 that worked great, that may be an easy option as well.

I got a couple flights on my 112 yesterday but was cut short because I didn't listen to the wise @Tseres when he told me to screw on my pipe couplers and just when I was really getting my grin on in the second flight I blew my pipe loose from the header:cautious:. All fixed.....for next time. I've got a little more than 8 gallons through mine now and it's crazy smooth and reliable. Hope you get your's dialed in as well Bunky!!! (I know you will)

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I'm a super choke servo hater as it adds another thing to fail
I hear ya. A friend and I flipped on his DA200 for quite awhile one day and couldn't even get it to pop. We pulled the hatch to check a few things and instantly smelled cooked electronics. The 8711 he had on the choke was cooked.

But with some setups it sure makes life easier.;)

I did the bell crank thing on my 80rv the first plane it was in. After that, a ran a nyrod and curved it to the side of the fuse. Threaded a 2-56 bolt into the end so it stuck out just far enough to grab.