• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

ZDZ 112 Champion mounting

I said from the beginning, to myself, that I would post up a thread on the ZDZ 112 Champion. For those that don't know, or knew..... I won a FaceBook contest that ZDZ in the Czech Republic put on back in Feb. I finally received my 112 a few weeks ago, and after staring at it for a few days in awe, I decided that it was time to finally mount up this beast.

Start with a 108" EG Aircraft Extra 330SC. It began life with an EME 120 with WrongWay RC tuned pipes and DA 100 headers. The EME (which I bought brand new) had approx 10 gallons thru it, prior to me mounting it in the SC. It was previously mounted in my 108" Yak 55M. Should have never gotten rid of the Yak and the EME. But it is all hind sight. Then I mounted one of my trusty 3W 106's in the Extra. I began to have ignition troubles (at idle, runs on 1 cylinder) with the 106. It is ONLY 9 years old, and has way too many gallons of fuel burnt thru it. So, I pulled it, and installed my DA 120 (which was in my 108" Corvus) and had 8 dead stick landings. The 8th one resulted in a rekit of the Corvus. So, I mounted up the DA in the SC, trimmed my baffling, got it all nice and snug upto the juggies. Needless to say, I didn't trust the engine to continue to fly my style of flying. So, fortunately, a good friend of mine loaned me his DA 120. So, I've had it mounted in my airframe for about a month now, and I don't want to keep his engine any longer, so this is why I'm mounting the ZDZ in the SC now. Plus, I kinda like how the tuned pipes sound with this airframe. So, I'm mounting the tuned pipes back in this airframe and hooking them up to the ZDZ 112.

Preliminary mounting looks like the engine will fit in the previous mounting holes. Boy was I el-wrongo. 3W/DA/DLE/EME and so forth all share the 70x80mm (width/height) mounting platform. The ZDZ 112 does not. It is approx 60x85mm. So, I had to knock out my previous blind nuts in the firewall, dowel it and redrill for the ZDZ. I figured that I would try some 5mm or 10-32 screws for mounting this go around. I have 10-32 blind nuts and hopefully long enough stand offs and screws. Well, it seems that 2" screws aren't going to be long enough. But, 1.5" stand offs are going to be just right. :) Well, instead of having to search for longer 10-32 screws, why not try mounting a 112cc engine like the 50/55c class engines are. A stand off that is threaded internally on both ends. I think this will work quite well, use a 1" long grade 9 10-32 cap screw from the inside of the firewall, thru the blind nut, inserted into the stand off. Then a 3/4" long grade 9 10-32 cap screw on the engine side mounted into the stand off. Lock washers and blue loctite are used without question. Then I will have to relocate my throttle servo, shorten up my fuel line, trim the firewall to fit the carb and then finally mount the arms sent with the engine to the carb for the choke and throttle butterflys. I was hoping that I could get this going for a possible Saturday test, but I have to work, and I would also like to work on my trailer, before it gets too stinking cold here in Ohio. But Sunday may work out best for me, providing I get it all done and ready to rock.

Pics coming. I am transferring pics from an 8GB card in my phone to a new 256GB card, all via my laptop.

@Flyrcjoe @Terryscustom

Need to get a few more pics of the mounting and making a template. I somehow misplaced the ZDZ template from the Extra, and the one from my Corvus doesn't allow the center lines to match up. Engine bolted right up with my hand drawn and drilled template! ;)

Attachments

• 20151013_163921.jpg
    20151013_163921.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 493
  • 20151013_163929.jpg
    20151013_163929.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 486
Keep in mind, the engine is just mocked for pics. I need to finish installing blind nuts in the firewall.

Attachments

• 20151014_194546.jpg
    20151014_194546.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 463
  • 20151014_195524.jpg
    20151014_195524.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 452
  • 20151014_194615.jpg
    20151014_194615.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 481
  • 20151014_194602.jpg
    20151014_194602.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 490

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Cool, I got a few flights on my 112 tonight that puts me over the 6 gallon mark. Still running like a watch and starts with a couple flips after prime each time. Just make sure you set the choke up so that you can have it somewhat variable. I find that after full throttle / full choke flip to pop, it starts right away if you turn the ignition off and flip it twice more after that (still full throttle). Go to 1/2 - 1/3 choke, few clicks up on throttle, ignition on and it starts in 1-3 flips every time.

20151014_172817[1].jpg

Im hoping not to use any throttle to start this engine. I will not have an engine that requires the use of throttle to start. I feel it is unsafe to use anything over an idle setting for starting.

But...... Different strokes for different folks.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Well, just have to make sure the choke is shut. Pretty much S.O.P. for most everyone. No throttle you may be flipping for a while.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Have to agree a partly open (I use about quarter stick) throttle butterfly helps for faster prime during choke. The jets on these carbs is in close proximity of the throttle butterfly and if it is fully closed makes it a bit more difficult for fuel to be picked up in the air stream.

Wont be much happening this weekend on getting the 112 mounted up. Still havent made stand offs or installed the remaining blind nuts or looked for 10-32s in various lengths.... Plus, that dreaded job comes before anything... Including Satuday work. OT is good, but dammit, I dont want every weekend.