• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Your Opinion-This is not a "Which radio is best" thread!!!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I've ran Spektrum since I started flying. from the DX6, to the dx8, to the DX18 QQ. I have never had a problem with any of them and I love the simplicity of the powersafe receivers in my big birds. I'm wanting to make the change to the Jeti DS-16 though after holding it for hours at Joe Nall and other events that Esprit had a booth at for the programming capabilities and the smoothness of the gimbals. The thought of what it will cost me to change over 11 planes and 6 helis is the only thing that is holding me back.
Ah heck.... jus' do it. You know you won't be sorry. I have a couple of friends out here that switched over. They almost had me convinced, but I wanted to see how their outcome is on first. (I am using them as guinea pigs....shhhhh..)

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey Stang, just curious - what is it about the A9X that you don't like? Is it lack of channels?

IMO that would be a big reason. 9 channels kind of limits your options without matchboxes or powerboxes. Not that there's anything wrong with the boxes, but I feel that it adds weight that doesn't need to be added.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
"Staying Connected" Feel is the bottom line. So much diversity and choices! So much "now" and way to much being "outdated" by the time you get it in your hands. I look at as...." If your going to be unhappy why not stay unhappy with the choice you made!lol

Patroller

70cc twin V2
As you probably know I have the DX18, you are welcome to try it out sometime if you are interested. I'll let you fly my Laser with it or something. I really like the powersafe rx's and have them in both my gas planes. I have only seen a few small issues with the system. However I think if I was starting over today, I think I would probably go with the new JR stuff. I am not sure I would want to spend 2,500 on their high end radio though. That's enough for an awfully nice airplane.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I think most justify their purchases with the 18mz and 28x based on the features those transmitters pack inside of them. I got to play with a couple of 18mz's and I have got to say, the programming is exceptional.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I think most justify their purchases with the 18mz and 28x based on the features those transmitters pack inside of them. I got to play with a couple of 18mz's and I have got to say, the programming is exceptional.

I have played with one and you are ESTA' CORRECTO! But I cant justify $3k for any of them. I forked out the 1200 when the 9z first showed up and was going to on a 14mz at 2k. Then it dawned on me!?!?!? How much radio do I really need to do what I do and do it with rock solid connection and feel. Well a cheaper 10 channel with a module answered that for me. Now radios like everything else do not last forever. So for me the 14sg is hopefully going to meet that same value and expectation Futaba has provided me. As long as they fix that damn touch sensor!lol

Mikeq

150cc
I have played with one and you are ESTA' CORRECTO! But I cant justify $3k for any of them. I forked out the 1200 when the 9z first showed up and was going to on a 14mz at 2k. Then it dawned on me!?!?!? How much radio do I really need to do what I do and do it with rock solid connection and feel. Well a cheaper 10 channel with a module answered that for me. Now radios like everything else do not last forever. So for me the 14sg is hopefully going to meet that same value and expectation Futaba has provided me. As long as they fix that damn touch sensor!lol

You and I think alike and yes they will fix your touch sensor wheel...I started to pull the trigger on a 18mz and I thought 3 grand and probably 2 years it will be obsolete and discontinued like the 12 and 14mz were...got cold feet and opted for the 14SG and so far I haven't been disappointed... Futaba did leave a huge gap between the 14Sg 600 bucks and the 18MZ 3000 bucks...there was a lot of chatter about filling that void but I guess it was all a bunch of hyperbole..time will ultimately tell but maybe not....

Patroller

70cc twin V2
Isn't JR kind of doing the same gap, unless they have other less expensive versions in the works as well.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey Stang, just curious - what is it about the A9X that you don't like? Is it lack of channels?
Hmmm....how to answer this. It first would be fair to say I "LOVED" the Aurora when it first came out. 9 Channels then was pretty much the standard. It was easy to program, felt really good in my hands and did not weigh a ton. Lots of really cool features I knew I would be using. I loved the radio features. What I didn't like about it was not dependable. One day I might go flying and it would be crystal clear and not a single worry in the world. Then next day? Anything I flew would have a weird twitch. I had been over my setups a million and half times. Never ever found an issue. NOTE: My son is still flying the same one he purchased "BEFORE" I purchased my first one. He still has "NEVER" had an issue. Our setups are identical all the way down to servos, wiring, rx's, batteries, switches...everything. Fast forward, I replaced that A9 with another A9. Same lousy crappy unreliability. In fact, nearly lost my big 260 on Maiden day this past April. Fast forward a little further. Replaced the second A9 with an A9X. All seemed to be well. Dual processors, same great feel. Same weight, same awesome programming. And have been very pleased with it, until recently it too has started a twitch now and then. Plain and simple, I don't trust it. I don't think anyone would like to take a radio to the field they didn't have complete confidence in.