• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Your Opinion-This is not a "Which radio is best" thread!!!

Seriously, I love the Airtronics S10G. Don't know if others have improved theirs but at the time I got mine it had the least latency in the industry. It was so different and fast to react to input I had to make big adjustments in my timing. And for a 50" plane going 200+ MPH around pylons it was very significant. It's not the best radio on the planet but I like it the best. Programming is very intuitive as well, and btw, I fly mode dos.

Thanks for letting me play.
Airtronics is pretty popular at one of the clubs I belong to. Many people like the radio a lot. One member did find out that they are not strong enough to make it through getting ran over by a golf cart:confused:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I can "will" .....will I ever get good???
I have no doubt, you are better than you lead us to believe. :laughing:That being said, to all the JR owners... I have decided to pull the trigger on a JR radio. My question however is this. Which one. I like the 11X but I also really like the XG11. Yet even these choices present required input. I know the new XG11 is DMSS programming, right? Does the XG have 4096 resolution capabilities? And along with that, there are two XG models available. Which one has the lowest latency? What are the differences between the two? Both come with different receivers. Which one would be best suited for general Precision and 3D? I looked at JR's website as well as Chief... neither really tell me any of the info I am seeking.

Someone that knows better than I please step up and help a guy out?

ryan_m

100cc
I have no idea on the latencies of the various radios. I have flown with an old Aurora 9, which was notoriously bad on latency, and I could definitely feel a difference with it. The XG11 that I have feels just as good as the DX9, 9503, 9303 that I have flown with in latency terms. The hardware however feels worlds better. DX9's feel cheap to me, the xg11 feels nice and solid. As would the 11x since they are the same other than the RF protocol, and possibly programming depending on whether you have an 11x running the xg11 programming, which I gather is easy to do. Though the 11x will still speak dsm2/dsmx, while the xg11 would be dmss as you said.
UNLESS... you buy the XG11 MV, which is the removable module version, then depending on what module you buy it can talk Futaba, DSM2/DSMX, DMSS, etc.
On the resolution... from what I understand the XG11 radio is in fact 4096, but that most likely your servos are only 1024, or 2048 at best, so you probably won't ever realize that resolution.

I use both JR and Futaba 2.4 radios. Primarily JR but that's just because I started out with them and am more comfortable with the programing. Both systems work very well though. I recently picked up a Taranis radio on a whim these things are very reasonably priced and very well made. I don't have much actual use on it though as you need to be very computer savy to program these things. If your up for a challange check out the reviews and see what you think. I got mine here: http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-taranis.html

Programming wise the 11X is similar to the XG11. The current 11X is running the Spektrum DMSX protocol which works with DSM2. Pretty much all of what Spektrum used for 2.4. However you do not get the telemetry with the 11X as you do with the XG11. X Buss is also not an option with the 11X but comes with all JR DMSS radios. I would go with the XG11. If you have some Spektrum stuff a XG11 with the module is a good route to go. All the current JR DMSS recievers have standard battery voltage telemetry. You also have the option of X Buss and even power buss recievers. This is similar to the Spektrum power safe recievers. IMO Power Buss is the only way to go with giant scale set ups. Unless you go with the X Buss hub.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Good input....I am very appreciative. I think because I do like the resolution factors that my Aurora 9X has offered, (4096) and the very low latency, I will probably go with the XG11. I had forgotten the MV was the removable module model. Also, I have servos that will respond to the 4096 resolution and will be using more in the future, I think this is the best route to go. I just wish HITEC would step up to the plate and get a new radio on the market. This A9X with the dual processors is the shinizle. Programming is so easy a three year old can do it. And features and capabilities are endless.

Mikeq

150cc
Just got me one of these. That's all I've got to say.

Nuff said...Man if only I had back the money I gave the preacher who got caught banging the hockey player...seriously I started out on Futaba then through club peer pressure switched to Spektrum and ultimately JR who got out of bed with Spekrtum so now I'm full circle back with Futaba... They all have their good points and I guess the thing that bothered me the most about JR splitting with Spektrum was all the receivers I would have to buy in order to stay current or go with the new JR protocol.. Stang your situation coming from Hitec to JR seems like a good one for you since you don't have a lot of JR/Spek receivers that are useless with the new JR transmitters.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I myself am a Futaba guy. I was a Hitec guy but I've heard lots of stories about Hitecs 2.4 not working properly unless you upgrade to a 9X. So I went with Futaba, and haven't had a single problem yet. Most of the guys in my club are using Futaba, though we do have guys on Hitec and Spektrum (both of which have had lockouts at my club).

How a transmitter fits in your hand is important because I feel that it sets your comfort level, and my 8FGS fits my hands perfectly. Really solid transmitter with a lot of programming options too. I really like it.

Last edited:

Pbilt024

70cc twin V2
I've ran Spektrum since I started flying. from the DX6, to the dx8, to the DX18 QQ. I have never had a problem with any of them and I love the simplicity of the powersafe receivers in my big birds. I'm wanting to make the change to the Jeti DS-16 though after holding it for hours at Joe Nall and other events that Esprit had a booth at for the programming capabilities and the smoothness of the gimbals. The thought of what it will cost me to change over 11 planes and 6 helis is the only thing that is holding me back.