• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Your Opinion-This is not a "Which radio is best" thread!!!

I was JR until they switched their radio language recently and I was heavily invested in DSMX power safe receivers. I had two nearly new 11X transmitters, but decided to sell one and try out the new generation Spektrum DX18. It operates very much like the JR but has so many features that blow the JR out of the water.

Here are a few that I absolutely love:
- Wireless buddy boxing!! Can connect to ANY radio that transmits in DSM language, without a cord.
- Model Match JR does have this, plus you can turn it off if you want to.
- SD card backup / transfer / storage / updates JR also has the same feature
- Able to assign any switch to any channel JR is also able to perform this function
- VERY powerful mixing The 18 does have some good mixing but the XG11 (old 11X is much more powerful for mix's. plus a lot more mix's and rate modes.
- Servo balancing for all channels JR also does this.
- Very intuitive programming that does not require a degree in anything
- Nice feel with smooth gimbals
- Power safe RX's......HUGE savings in power distribution and battery sharing garb, not to mention no huge expensive switches. JR has their own version of power buss. Same style of receiver.
- The list goes on.

Very happy with it. I've helped a few people with another popular brand radio trying to do a simple mix like spoilerons / reflex and it actually required four mixes and took a fair amount of time to set up. Granted, it was not the newest model radio but it was a huge pain.

The Spektrum and JR brands are still very similar. I looked at the DX18 before I bought the 11X and personally I am glad I was able to put hands on it first.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
The Spektrum and JR brands are still very similar. I looked at the DX18 before I bought the 11X and personally I am glad I was able to put hands on it first.

Yea, if JR had not switched the language I would not have upgraded. Having over $2K worth of receivers that I'd have to sell at a loss sealed the deal for me. I still have several planes on my 11X but have come to really like the Spektrum feel and functionality even over the 11x.

I have been flying the JR DMSS XG11 for a season now. It is very similar to the JR 11X when it was the DSMX protocol. The 11X is extremely powerful for its price range. For instances you can set snap rates on each direction based on stick inputs. It will go to rates you program based on the stick positions. Plus there are a lot of rates that can be activated based on stick position. I believe there are up to 7 different rates per channel and can be in any combination I have been able to find. Way more than I would ever use. JR has a large selection of recievers that all have battery voltage telemetry included. Power buss recievers (aka power safe) including an 8 channel power buss receiver. I am now installing X buss on my IMAC plane. I have only a power, ground, and standard servo wire going to the tail of my plane to power 4 servo's. Plus you have the ability to use a smaller channel radio to do more with X buss. You can power up to 4 servo's per channel with X buss and fine tune each servo using it. The big thing I like about this is the JR systems has the option to use larger gauge wire to power up multiple servos instead of the standard 20 gauge that competitors have here the states. The telemetry does store the information like minimum and max battery voltage, minimum and max engine heat. I have not messed with the other stuff available yet. I find programming easy but I have always been with Spektrum and then JR so the language is similar. I tried Futaba and was confused however I know I could learn it. It is all what you are used to. The servo balancing feature is a must in my mind. I also like the fact you can turn off model match if you wanted to.
The binding is nicer I think because there is no button to push. You set up the binding process in the menu.

njswede

150cc
Spektrum DX8. Zero problems so far, but having stepped into the 100cc-world, I'm going to have to upgrade. Most likely a DX18.

Yea, if JR had not switched the language I would not have upgraded. Having over $2K worth of receivers that I'd have to sell at a loss sealed the deal for me. I still have several planes on my 11X but have come to really like the Spektrum feel and functionality even over the 11x.
Oh I agree 100% with changing recievers. I was able to sell all of mine but I can see where it is a big pill to swallow.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Awesome everyone. Thanks.... So I have decided I think I may just do it. Now...(and again, not wanting to start any wars) I will probably go with JR. XG11? 11X? Or.... ? Not too worried about money. But want the best bang for the buck.

Awesome everyone. Thanks.... So I have decided I think I may just do it. Now...(and again, not wanting to start any wars) I will probably go with JR. XG11? 11X? Or.... ? Not too worried about money. But want the best bang for the buck.
If you are going to JR go with the XG11. If possible get your hands on one to make sure you like it. The XG14 is also a nice radio with more channels but slightly less capable. It is a smaller radio with a good feel to it also. At the Toledo show I felt all the radios there and messed with programming and the best bang for my buck with good feel was the XG11.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
If you are going to JR go with the XG11. If possible get your hands on one to make sure you like it. The XG14 is also a nice radio with more channels but slightly less capable. It is a smaller radio with a good feel to it also. At the Toledo show I felt all the radios there and messed with programming and the best bang for my buck with good feel was the XG11.
Very cool James....I've been hearing a lot of pretty much exactly what you said. That is good to hear that everyone concurs with one another. Everyone using JR that is. LOL. Which in this hobby, don't happen much.:laughing:

Last edited: