• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Why do you use HV and / or why don't you?

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
The powersafe receivers for some reason always have this issue with long extensions going to the 79XX servos. We can send you signal boosters (for FREE!) that will ramp up the signal going to the servo and will cure the problem. Give us a call tomorrow and ask to speak with me (Tanner).
Tanner, what number should I call?

crashflow

70cc twin V2
Send some for me too. 7950s in the tail of my 40% jump all over on HV. I had to add a reg to settle them down.

This will allow me to compare all three battery technologies and mah consumption as well as flight performance difference. The problem I see is most people have only tried and are used to one thing. Therefore when they give advice it is bias to that setup.

Mah consumption would be tricky as there are some compensating effects going on. HV will supply more watts with less Mah, but the servos could pull more watts either as HV vs 6v servos or maybe the slight voltage difference between Li-Ion and Lipo driving the lipo supplied servos a little faster/torquier.

Trying three setups in planes you're familiar with will definitely give you a basis to compare them.

quadracer

100cc
Ahh, crap your missing the question. This is for a plane that has standard voltage, just changing battery technology only and looking to regulate to 6.6 volts.

Anyway, I got my answer after a couple hours on the phone with a couple of good friends here is what I am going to do:

1 - Buy one whole set of HV servos and run unregulated LiPo and power safe
2 - Set up one of my existing planes with Fromeco Ions, a Fromeco Reg and the power safe RX

This will allow me to compare all three battery technologies and mah consumption as well as flight performance difference. The problem I see is most people have only tried and are used to one thing. Therefore when they give advice it is bias to that setup.
I understand your question, it just sounded like stangflyer is running an HV servo setup, and still regulating voltage down for the rx.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I understand your question, it just sounded like stangflyer is running an HV servo setup, and still regulating voltage down for the rx.

Crap, I thought you copied me:face-palm:
dunce (1).gif
. Sorry about that!!!!

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Tanner, what number should I call?
Send some for me too. 7950s in the tail of my 40% jump all over on HV. I had to add a reg to settle them down.

Anybody that needs them needs to contact me here on the forums first. I can only give out boosters to people who really need them for a genuine glitching issue. Shoot me a PM, I'm always around (even on the weekends!).

Last edited:

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
So do the hitec rx. The 7955 and 7950 servos all have had problems here. six different planes. They all jitter no matter what. We have tried signal boosters and diods.This is all on 35 to 40 centers. I have sent my 7955's back twice and they last maybe three flights before they start jittering.

There are 2 problems people refer to the most with our 79XX servos:

1. Spektrum/JR powersafe glitching. The main issue here is the signal strength can diminish with the use of long servo wires, causing our high resolution 79xx servos to glitch/jump significantly on HV (direct 2S LiPo/LiIon). You're talking almost an inch of deflection at the servo horn, if not more (especially with 3D arms). The best method to eliminate this is to use a very high quality 22awg servo extension with gold plated connectors at each end. If the problem still persists, then you may need to use a signal booster. Ailerons are generally not affected by this due to the fact that the servos use such short leads by comparison to your tail servos.

2. No load jitter. This happens to some of our 79xx servos, but not all. They will jiggle in place constantly until you apply a load to them, at which point the jitter will go away completely. Easy to diagnose this one, just apply some pressure to the control surface when the servo jitters and see if it goes away. If it does, then there isn't an issue here, the flying loads when the surface is airborne will eliminate the jitter almost entirely.

The BEST method to diagnose your problem is to apply a slight load to the control surface by hand. If the servo stop jittering, then your issue is a minimal load jitter. If they continue to do it, even with a decent amount of pressure, then contact me here on the forums first so I can advise you the best route possible to take.

None of my servos jitter with any of my receivers (I'm 100% Hitec by obligation ;) ).

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
No... actually what I use is an all HV system with no regs. Have no jitters, jiggles, wiggles or chattering. I have used regs. to volt down for non HV servos before I went all HV. I've also ran single battery low and high voltage with and without the SF. The system I like best and in my opinion the cleanest with the fewest possibilities for failure is what I run now. Two Fromeco Li-Ions straight to SF. Servos out of SF and one fail safe pin switch. I don't use an ignition battery in my 50cc. Above 50cc, (even though I don't have to) for peace of mind I run a single Fromeco Li-Ion for Ign. I've run a lot of different systems with lots of different results. I find this set up works best for what I want.

Last edited: