• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Why do you use HV and / or why don't you?

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I get this question all the time because people seem shocked that I don't fly HV with $170 servos. So I'll go first.....

I like to fly....a LOT when I get out. So I have a supply of batteries and I swap them through the day and charge at night. I fly a combo of A123's and LiFe batts simply because I don't trust LiPo and hate the charge time with Ions, so I just have not switched. Neither of my reasons are good ones, just stuck with what has worked for me. Had I not switched to Savox with recommended servos from @Bemeson for my battery type, I would have probably switched to HV two years ago. Price and quality keeps getting better on HV I see.

With the A123's I can fly 5 times on a 30% and 4 on a 35% and swap. Charge time is 30 minutes and they won't burn down my house, trailer or shop.

So let's hear it.....what do you run and what is your reason for choosing your setup??

Last edited:
At least with Savox for the same price (1283 vs 1270) HV get's you more speed/torque so the appeal is clear. It also requires slight less amp draw through the wires and connectors for a given watt draw leading to less voltage drop over long wire runs.

It's funny how leery everyone is about lipos as a receiver pack, but no one seems to think twice about carrying around half a dozen foamy batteries or big lipos for electric. I understand fires have happened and to experienced people, but there's a weird double standard.

Using a quality charger, monitoring IR changes and making absolutely sure the charger recognized the correct number of cells and those cells are all accounted for and reading a normal voltage would probably go a long way towards preventing many of the accidents that have happened.

It would be cool if more manufacturers started setting everything up for 9.9v for 3s A123. I think A123/Life is a better all around receiver battery than anything else. They have huge output, charge fast, safer than lipo and have a flat discharge curve. Lipos are a little lighter than A123.

I like the idea of high discharge Lipo/A123/Life run direct over Ion setups with regs. The Ions have less overhead for delivering voltage under load and a linear reg doesn't necessarily stop shaving voltage off once it drops below where the reg is set. So in theory these setups are closer to a receiver brown out under a heavy workload. That said they seem to work just fine for people so it's in theory for the most part.

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
I'm running HV set up on my Slick, and love it. Super simple set up, direct plug, and go play. I'm assembling a Sukhoi, which was full of 6V rated servo's, I started researching A123's, and found that I could buy a quality lipo pack, for a 1/3 of the price of quality A123 pack, so off to find a Regulator. I put SF reg. in Sukhoi, liked set up so much, I found another reg., and installed it in another plane, now all my planes are set up for the same flight packs(lipo's), simple, and easy, plug and fly.

Islandflyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
It's funny how leery everyone is about lipos as a receiver pack, but no one seems to think twice about carrying around half a dozen foamy batteries or big lipos for electric. I understand fires have happened and to experienced people, but there's a weird double standard.

Not really a double standard to me:
1- With electric planes (including foamies) there is no suitable alternative to LiPo. If there was, I would go there.
2- I don't trust a battery that looks wrapped like a chocolate bar in the vibrating environment of a gasoline powered airplane. The physical construction of LiPos doesn't look really sturdy. The electric small planes and foamies are not subjected to the same stresses and vibrations, and there are several suitable alternatives to LiPos for larger gas powered planes.

I started converting to HV set ups because of the higher torque and speed they provide, along with a simpler set up with no need for regulators.

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
Interesting. I use Fromeco Li-ions and love them. Never an issue and they charge fast. Because of the batteries, I use HV servos and usually a power safe RX. Super simple setup and very reliable.

1- With electric planes (including foamies) there is no suitable alternative to LiPo. If there was, I would go there.

A123 works great for electric setups, just a little heavier.

2- I don't trust a battery that looks wrapped like a chocolate bar in the vibrating environment of a gasoline powered airplane. The physical construction of LiPos doesn't look really sturdy.

Valid point, A123 cells look better supported, but in the end I think they're just filled with a bunch of tiny little layers like Life or Lipo. Anyway they shouldn't be subject to damage other than a crash so long as they are carefully mounted on foam. Maybe not the best option for mounting to the motor box o_O

In a crash they could easily cause a fire which spreads to the gas system so concern about that relative to electrics certainly isn't a double standard. Maybe a thick Kevlar wrap or hardpack could mitigate some of the crash risk.

I'd definitely keep an eye on any "soft" pack. Write down IR and keep track of any changes, don't leave the room while they are charging.

I could see vibration breaking poorly supported wires at the solder joints, but with a redundant system this wouldn't cause a crash or a fire. Glacier, Gen Ace, Hyperion, Dinogy are a few brands with noticeably better pack construction over the average for what it's worth.

Dan767

70cc twin V2
I switched to HV to get rid of the voltage regulator and the need for matching systems. My radio and/or servos can now do all that. I've also been using S Bus now for the last two years.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Valid point, A123 cells look better supported, but in the end I think they're just filled with a bunch of tiny little layers like Life or Lipo.

You are mistaking LiFe for A123's. LiFe packs are layered and built just like a LiPo but won't catch fire and are even happy to be charged at 10 Amps (although I wouldn't personally). A123's are hard cells that would likely be undamaged from a crash. Both LiFe and A123's can be fully charged and shot with a gun, hammered on or stabbed with a knife and they will not catch on fire. LiFe's do get really hot but not an explosive reaction like a Lipo.

Glacier, Gen Ace, Hyperion, Dinogy are a few brands with noticeably better pack construction over the average for what it's worth.
I've heard lots of good reporst on Glacier packs.

Either way, the debate is why you use what you use, not the pros and cons of packs themselves. My reason for not trusting LiPo's is strictly based on paranoia and "one less thing to worry about".