• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Why do you use HV and / or why don't you?

hbollier

70cc twin V2
ff850fe61bf9382ba8b710944bf9fa19.jpg

I chose lipo simply because of my prior experience with them. 1 of the first in the Ohio area to use lipo in electric powered aircraft. Been using them for almost 15 years. I remember well, the 3c discharge rate 1080 mA packs. Had to charge them at 1C rate. It was nothing for a 7 minute flight and an 80 minute recharge.

There have been many advancements in technology with battery builds, chargers, now parallel charging.

I have done everything wrong that you can do with lipo, with the exception of plugging one in backwards, to create a failure. Have I seen performance degrade, yup. But still showed an 80% recharge capacity. I must have 30 packs that need to be disposed of. But I want to have fun doing that. I don't believe in keeping lipo in a container for storage. There is no potential for incineration. It is only under a charge/discharging condition. I have said this before......... Do what you feel is necessary to store them and charge them. What I do works wonderfully for me, but may not work for anyone else. I charge and store packs in all my aircraft. I do balance charge each charge now. I never used to, until I checked the balance of my packs 1 day.

When it comes to new, larger cell/capacity packs........ Beat the crap out of them for approx 50% capacity. Then recharge them, and do it again and again for a few flights. IRs will come down low and will give you the power you need, easier under a higher load condition, much like in an E heli.

I fly lipo because I don't like A123 packs. Have I used 123s? Yup. Built my own 2S2P 4600 rx packs. 1 pack was perfect, 4600 ma. Other pack was only 2300. Had 2 dead cells after I built the packs. If I were new, I would try each, and see which I liked best.

All my aircraft are outfitted much similar..... Dual 3600 Glacier 2S lipo Rx packs hooked into a JR DMSS PowerSafe Rx and soft switch. I will use a regulator on the ignition system that is rated at 6V. A castle BEC is my choice there, just the little 10A. Unless I decide on a WrongWay step down diode.

I know, a bit long winded......... But drag racing is on now and it is time to watch some 4 wide quails and grab a pain pill.

BalsaDust

I love the cheap g force packs from value hobbies for my small electrics. Have I think 15 of their packs now including some life packs for receiver packs on my glow planes with no problems.

The glacier packs look very nice. Been eyeballing those. Heard good things about them. I'm going to order a hand full for my small electrics.
I just started flying their 2S 450s on my foamies. Blow those crap ass nano techs out of the water.

I also use the 6S 5000s in a 12S 700 machine and in a 6S jet.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I just started flying their 2S 450s on my foamies. Blow those crap ass nano techs out of the water.

Been hearing that. Honestly I need some packs for my foamies and electrics and been dragging my feet. Last two orders from HK I got two packs that were DOA and after an hour on the phone I said F-it and never did get replacements. Time before that they sent 2S instead of 3S. They gave me a runaround and finally sent the correct size but shorted me one:oblong:. From some of the people I've heard having fits with high dollar name brand LiPo's, I'm going to go with what I hear the most positive things about.

Done with that crap. I'm digging what I am hearing and seeing so I'll be placing an order shortly: http://www.buddyrc.com/

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
Terry, I've been using the glaciers for over a year now, 2s-3s 450 3s 2200 2s 2600, all have been rock solid. I've also heard and read good things about Pulse batts.

I will vouch for those Glaciers, Terry. If you have a problem with a pack, give them a call and talk with either Gary or Doug. They check the balance on the cells prior to shipping on 2S 850 packs and up. I don't know of any other company that does, unless it is/was a custom built pack that I built when I was working for Radical, 10 years ago.

I've recently gone HV on my new 50% YAK. Crisp control on all surfaces no doubt but I find myself dialing in more expo than I normally would use on a standard 5.5 to 6 volt airplane.

I only have a hand full of flights on my new 50% Yak and have noticed I am only using 480 - 500 mah per each 13 min flight. My FROMECO 7800's are feeding 14 8911HV and 2 savoxHV servos,,, I shudda went HV a long time ago.