• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Why do you use HV and / or why don't you?

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Someone on another website did some testing of his own on the 9370 servo and came back with an average of about 430oz of torque at 8v. Not bad for a servo rated to 347oz of torque :way_to_go:

graduallycow

New to GSN!
I outfitted my entire 100cc black and white Extra 330lx with 9380 servos. They seem to center well and the gear train is holding up. I like Hitec lets you set the deadband, but these center so accurately I haven't changed it.

I power my black and white Extra using a combination of battery types in conjunction with telemetry. I run a small 600mah Life pack and a 2300mah 3s A123 into a schottky rectifier diode with the 3s A123 voltage regulated to 8.6v befoore the diode. A telemetry alarm is set to alert me if the voltage at the receiver droops below 7.3v so I'll always be udderly sure which battery is powering the receiver and have time to land if there is a prooblem with the main flight pack. I think this is a butter system than lipo considering hoow high the steaks are if there were a fire.

The reason moo I regulate the A123 3s voltage tooo 8.6v is the schoooottky rectifier dioode droops the vooltage aboout .2 volts which gives 8.4v steady. Moo want to milk the system for all it's wooorth sooo mooo been wooondering if I mooo can run higher mooooo vooooltage oooon my regulatooooor moo.

Moooo I dooon't want mooo mooo to moooooo hurt the moooo servooooos moooooooooo moooo mooooooo moooo moooo mooo. Mooo it mooo mooo mooo mooo woooried moooo mooo mooo mooo.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Someone on another website did some testing of his own on the 9370 servo and came back with an average of about 430oz of torque at 8v. Not bad for a servo rated to 347oz of torque :way_to_go:
I read that too. I was really impressed. Makes ya wanna jut run right out and buy them. LOL

Just a question.......

Not saying that specs are wrong or inaccurate, but is there any proof that those servos develop that torque at that voltage? It would be absolutely killer if each servo manuf stated what each servo makes for torque, instead of fictional numbers.

TBM has done studies on servos as well as Brian Emeson of Code 3 on torque of servos.

The TBM results, if I remember correctly, showed the Hitecs developing far less torque than the manufacture states. Futaba and JR are the same way.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I run a 12 volt car battery in my plane . plenty of power for days of flying.
You guys are missing out. This is what I run.
Mr_Fusion_by_emmokapp.jpg

It is April 1st after all.:yesss:

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Just a question.......

Not saying that specs are wrong or inaccurate, but is there any proof that those servos develop that torque at that voltage? It would be absolutely killer if each servo manuf stated what each servo makes for torque, instead of fictional numbers.

TBM has done studies on servos as well as Brian Emeson of Code 3 on torque of servos.

The TBM results, if I remember correctly, showed the Hitecs developing far less torque than the manufacture states. Futaba and JR are the same way.

The NEU motor inside of Hitec HSB servos is so incredibly efficient that it doesn't even struggle to make the maximum rated torque. We could make the 9380 pump out over 800 oz of torque if we wanted to, but the case and gears won't take it, let alone the wiring for the current loads. It's difficult to explain exactly how they work, but they basically don't slow down as the servo moves to its extremities with a load on them, they just keep pushing at full speed. That's why a brushless servo is generally a better option than a standard digital or a coreless digital.

Last edited:
I did notice in the video that the torque dropped off rather rapidly. I also noticed that the torque values, at the start of the pull, were inconsistant. I am not sure if all servos are that way. But something else that strikes me as odd, the video doesnt show a source for power. Are they using batteries or a variable power supply set to 7.4V, 8V, 9V....... Thats the unknown in the video.

Just asking questions, thats all.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I did notice in the video that the torque dropped off rather rapidly. I also noticed that the torque values, at the start of the pull, were inconsistant. I am not sure if all servos are that way. But something else that strikes me as odd, the video doesnt show a source for power. Are they using batteries or a variable power supply set to 7.4V, 8V, 9V....... Thats the unknown in the video.

Just asking questions, thats all.

The poster of the video stated he was using a power supply set to 8 volts, so he had plenty of juice going to them. Also, if you'll notice, the servo mount is moving. The servo is holding its position, but the mount is a little sketchy. If it were me, I'd have hard mounted that servo, rather than using a mount like that with rubber grommets. Like I said these servos are so overpowered that they don't even struggle to make these torque values. Not every servo will consistently make the exact same torque value since basically everything in the servo is assembled by hand (down to the motors internals sometimes).