• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Why do you use HV and / or why don't you?

nebwake

70cc twin V2
Ive seen lipos go up in a crash and once when a guy at the field cooked one off on a table. Not cool at all. Causes a very fast powerful chemical fire that will not go out with an extinguisher.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Ive seen lipos go up in a crash and once when a guy at the field cooked one off on a table. Not cool at all. Causes a very fast powerful chemical fire that will not go out with an extinguisher.

Not with a Class ABC. You need a Class D. Sand works better. They do not burn long at all either. It can happen, but it's becoming increasingly rare nowadays.

nebwake

70cc twin V2
Yea they reminded me of a firework that falls over and cooks off on the ground. I saw a 6cell 5000mAH go for well over a minute though. Plenty of time to burn the plane and all the fixins to nothing!

AEROSHELDON

70cc twin V2
I use a mixture just because that is what I have. 2 planes have Smart Fly regs and two have Lipo's on HV. I like having no regs but I don't want to replace 13 perfectly good 9157's that work great just to get rid of a couple regulators.

I use the Lipos on all the planes though, 3800 Thunder Power's. Treat them well, charge them at 1C and they will last just fine. I don't see all the issues really, I am sitting here with a Lipo in my laptop (wait for it) on my lap. I'm not fearful of that so I don't fear them in my plane. And if I crash then I guess I get the benefit of a "Viking Funeral" right then and there. :)

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Simple reasons:
1. I have never had any sign of a legitimate reason to not trust a LiPo.

Not with a Class ABC. You need a Class D. Sand works better. They do not burn long at all either.

LOL, sorry, just found these two things from the same person regarding lipo's as funny.......in a joking non FG giving you crap kinda way.

I do have to say that I am tossing around getting a Fromeco regulator and a couple of LiPo's from glacier just for when I go to events. Seems that a typical Huckfest weekend is 7-8 gallons of gas and I have to admit that 10-12 flights on a couple of 3000mah LiPo's is attractive to me. Having 4-6 A123's to charge compared to two LiPo's or two Lions is why I started the thread.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp

I was there the year skippy almost burned down the table. That was pretty exciting. I remember @Dunk springing into action with a fire extinguisher faster that superman. That was crazy.

Yep, lipos can be dangerous!
I did Nicad years and years ago, when i was into RC cars ( 1980's). Then i went to NiMH. then moved on to Life or A123.
Had one bad experience with the Fromeco batteries. and since then, i went to Li ions. Liked them, but like you have mentioned, long charge time, and with the 40%ers, i would see voltage drop significantly with snaps, etc...
then i went to Lipos, TP, and have never looked back.
Have yet to have a Lipo problem, but, it can always happen.
The most dangerous, I believe, are the LiPO batteries.

I do not keep any inside my home or garage,
They are kept inside my trailer.

My charge station is also inside the trailer, there is a solar panel on top, connected to a deep cycle marine battery.
I also use the Cell-Pro 8 lab charger. Seems to be a smart charger. Anyways, my 2 cents.

I do have to say that I am tossing around getting a Fromeco regulator and a couple of LiPo's from glacier just for when I go to events. Seems that a typical Huckfest weekend is 7-8 gallons of gas and I have to admit that 10-12 flights on a couple of 3000mah LiPo's is attractive to me. Having 4-6 A123's to charge compared to two LiPo's or two Lions is why I started the thread.

Sounds like a charging issue, not a battery issue. Check out BuddyRC for a parallel board and charge all your A123 at the same time. So much faster that way.