• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Why do you use HV and / or why don't you?

You are mistaking LiFe for A123's.

I just wasn't clear. I think A123 cells are full of the same layers as Life or Lipo, just packaged in a hard cell. Could be wrong, but their really big packs for cars are built like that.

Either way, the debate is why you use what you use, not the pros and cons of packs themselves. My reason for not trusting LiPo's is strictly based on paranoia and "one less thing to worry about".

Right, I guess my reasoning for lipo is high discharge and not having to use regulators. If adding regulators didn't bother me more than fires (when I put it like that it doesn't sound so smart) I'd run 3s A123 regulated to constant voltage for HV.:)

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Outside of my foamies and my little Aeroworks Extra that are LiPo, I've never used anything other than NiCd's for airplanes until I tried a 1300 mAh 2 cell LiFe in my Dalotel (pattern plane). With standard digital servo's, it works just fine. As a matter of fact, I'm putting a similar setup in my new Dirty Birdy (pattern plane) as well. Since I don't fly 3D or IMAC I'm not as concerned about weight as most of you Guys, I'm also going to use two Lions for my 50cc AMR Stick that is under construction and two for my 50cc PAU Extra when I get it. I also share Herve's reluctance to use LiPo batteries in any of my larger gas plane as well.

Husker

50cc
After weighing all the pros and cons(and using all of the options out there) A123/LiFe are my preference. They charge fast, have less fire risk(though I have yet to experience fire issues with lipos myself), maintain steady voltage without a regulator and don't steadily drop off in performance as they discharge.

I have had a few HV setups but at this point the performance of HV servos don't justify the cost for me.

Phil.Griffin

70cc twin V2
You are mistaking LiFe for A123's. LiFe packs are layered and built just like a LiPo but won't catch fire and are even happy to be charged at 10 Amps (although I wouldn't personally). A123's are hard cells that would likely be undamaged from a crash. Both LiFe and A123's can be fully charged and shot with a gun, hammered on or stabbed with a knife and they will not catch on fire. LiFe's do get really hot but not an explosive reaction like a Lipo.

I've heard lots of good reporst on Glacier packs.

Either way, the debate is why you use what you use, not the pros and cons of packs themselves. My reason for not trusting LiPo's is strictly based on paranoia and "one less thing to worry about".
Subscribed... Interesting reading. Thanks for starting the thread Terry. And Glacers are what I use.. From my Crack Yaks to my 120cc's.

3D-Joy

50cc
I find it very interesting that people pretty much put LiFe and A123 at an equal level of quality. From my experience, LiFe while being as safe as A123 are nowhere near the output power, fast charge capability and not even close to the durability of A123.

I guess hobby king LiFe batteries are just crap haha. My A123 have all been Duralites. Out of the 5 packs I have (all 2300mah so the old ones) none of them test below 2400mah when discharged from full 7.2V to 4V per pack. All after over 5 years of use and never bothering to put them in storage for winter or charging them just right before flying. They are basically kept full all the time.

yakken

100cc
I get this question all the time because people seem shocked that I don't fly HV with $170 servos. So I'll go first.....

I like to fly....a LOT when I get out. So I have a supply of batteries and I swap them through the day and charge at night. I fly a combo of A123's and LiFe batts simply because I don't trust LiPo and hate the charge time with Ions, so I just have not switched. Neither of my reasons are good ones, just stuck with what has worked for me. Had I not switched to Savox with recommended servos from @Bemeson for my battery type, I would have probably switched to HV two years ago. Price and quality keeps getting better on HV I see.

With the A123's I can fly 5 times on a 30% and 4 on a 35% and swap. Charge time is 30 minutes and they won't burn down my house, trailer or shop.

So let's hear it.....what do you run and what is your reason for choosing your setup??
Thats the same reason i fly a123s also

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
The choice was very simple for me. My long time flying buddy Tony was trying to get me back into flying after a decade layoff and he brought me a new JR 9503, 2 new Duralite A123's, a Duralite Li-Ion with regulator for the ignition and 7 HiTec servos. A coworker of his had left it all with him a skipped out never to be heard from again. It all worked great, so I just kept buying the same things.

I run a LiFe in my helicopter for the reciever, but like many others have said here it's just not as good as the A123's from what I can tell.

Robbins

Team WTFO (Watch The Fun Occur)
I use both a123 and LiPo, but favor LiPo by far. If I didn't have two 7950s in my 104" extra I wouldn't have any a123 at all, but they are a good power source for those sh!+ servos.

LiPo batteries age very predictably. I lost a plane once because I didn't heed the warning signs. With a123 and LiFe, do you get warning signs when they are about to take a dump? If so I'll change chemistry if you give me proof.

And Herve, I put lipos in your ultimate. Any battery needs some vibration protection AND monitoring.

I'm surprised how many people actually buy and use LiFe. Not knocking any company at all here but the technology is inferior for our application. I don't buy into the marketing BS.

BalsaDust

All my planes are setup on life packs except for one that is on HV lion pack that was giving to me. I have yet to fly it as the weather has just been that crappy but here's the one thing I see. The added strengh will be great but the added speed which I can see a huge difference between the same servos setup either way will be a problem for me. I can tell that that added speed will cause me to throw more expo into the radio to slow them back down. For that reason this will prolly be my only plane on HV.