• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Why do you use HV and / or why don't you?

LiPo batteries age very predictably. I lost a plane once because I didn't heed the warning signs. With a123 and LiFe, do you get warning signs when they are about to take a dump? If so I'll change chemistry if you give me proof

You can measure IR and capacity same as a lipo and be able to measure a decline long before the cells go bad. The A123 are supposed to be good for 1000 cycles before hitting 75% capacity. You might not want to keep them around that long, but it's longer than Lipo in any case. It won't be HV unless 3s packs on regulators are used.

I'm surprised how many people actually buy and use LiFe. Not knocking any company at all here but the technology is inferior for our application. I don't buy into the marketing BS.

It's the same basic chemistry as A123. Life doesn't have actual nanotech ingredients like A123 or put out the same amperage, but good packs will put out more than enough for a receiver pack. My Hyperion Life packs have held up perfect over 2 years.

crashflow

70cc twin V2
I was just looking over the savox specs for 1270 hv and 1283. the 1270 is cheaper(chief aircraft) , faster , more torque and .84 oz lighter. Is lipo the only choice to run these servos at hv?

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
I was just looking over the savox specs for 1270 hv and 1283. the 1270 is cheaper(chief aircraft) , faster , more torque and .84 oz lighter. Is lipo the only choice to run these servos at hv?
Nope. I run mine on fromeco relions.

Last edited:

Jgsticks

50cc
LIPOS for me. I just want a simple setup without extra components and now that their making ignitions that will handle 2cell lipos its even better. One switch turns everything on in my plane.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Good thread..... Though I am not much of an authority of batteries or chemistries and such, I can honestly speak from my own experience. Putting all the horror stories of Lipo's on the side lines, I can from my own experience say I am cautious of them. I have four 5000mah 4s batteries and a variety of other smaller Lipo's I use for either ignition or rx. packs. I've not had any issues and have chosen them for the simple fact that they have amazing time useage characteristics for what I am using them for. I don't abuse them and I respect them. But my primary choice of packs is Li-Ion from Fromeco. Why? I like using HV serovs and systems. Lets face it, with Futaba, JR, Savox and Hitec....Oh lets not forget the other guys too.... there are so many servo manufacturers out there that one can be as choosy as he likes. I prefer Hitec servos simply because I have had awesome results. That does not mean the other guys are any lesser quality. Just that I use what I use. Using LI-Ion packs gives me peace of mind of not worrying about Lipo's, though I respect them and have had no issues. Li-Ion's charge well, give great service and have amazing useage times. Typically it is nothing to get five or six ten plus minute flights from my 260 with plenty of punch still left in reserve. And proof in the pudding, six 13 minute flights on the PAU with at least that many remaining before they have to be charged. Running dual 2600 Fromeco's on the Pilot Edge. Easy 10 to 12 flights before they need a charge. Of course everyones results may vary depending on how they have their systems set up. But for me, the Li-Ion's are doing an awesome job. Add to that, simple easy setups with no extras to worry about. One switch, like @Jgsticks and no other need for extra things to worry about.

Last edited:
whats is the difference between the two? I am still new to all this.

Li-Ion are safer, manufactured with consistency by major electronics manufacturers and light. Li-Ion have a lower discharge capability compared to Lipo, but it's still pretty high relative to the demand placed on them and the lower discharge can be compensated for by just running a setup with more Mah giving more flights. Li-Ion charge more slowly than Lipo.

Lipo are more prone to fires, both from damage and using the wrong charger settings. Lipo can put out extremely high amperage so the servos should always operate at full speed and torque no matter what the workload is. Lipo are about the same weight. Lipo quality both in pack construction and cell quality varies quite a bit between brands.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
whats is the difference between the two? I am still new to all this.
As it was explained to me once. Take a Nimh.... Smack it as hard as you can with a sledge hammer. Nothing happens. Now take that same sledge hammer and smack a Li-Ion.... Probably a puff of smoke and that is about it. Taking the same hammer, smack the Lipo and see what happens. You'll be lucky if you still have all your hair Paul. LOL... Lithium Polymer batteries are good and strong, but mistreated, can be very dangerous. Lithum Ion batteries utilize the same Lithium chemistry, but without the danger of a Polymer battery. How much of this is true? I do not know, but I am not about to take a sledge hammer to a Lipo just to prove a point. LOL

As it was explained to me once. Take a Nimh.... Smack it as hard as you can with a sledge hammer. Nothing happens. Now take that same sledge hammer and smack a Li-Ion.... Probably a puff of smoke and that is about it. Taking the same hammer, smack the Lipo and see what happens. You'll be lucky if you still have all your hair Paul. LOL... Lithium Polymer batteries are good and strong, but mistreated, can be very dangerous. Lithum Ion batteries utilize the same Lithium chemistry, but without the danger of a Polymer battery. How much of this is true? I do not know, but I am not about to take a sledge hammer to a Lipo just to prove a point. LOL
use a small lipo with a sledge hammer and you'll be ok :)