• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Who would be interested in an entirely new type of competition?

This is just dumb.

Dumb that you'd have to ask if anyone is interested. lol! Hell yeah we're interested! Sounds pretty cool. It's been talked about here and there but nothing ever came from it. I'd love to see something like this come to light.

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Well, I'm IN to help Cody develop this into a real discipline. I think it's time has come. All the threads, all the talk, all the hype is moving this forward- good stuff. Merging Performance flying, Extreme aerobatics and 3D into a discipline that can be judged with fair criteria, adjusted appropriately for plane size and pilot ability will be fantastic for this hobby. Imagine- Huckin with purpose- Awesome! Let's get it started.

m0dest

30cc
I'm totally down with something like this.

My thoughts were it would be routine based but with 3D and high energy precision maneuvers. More like a IMAC freestyle type event with said maneuvers having to be performed within a pilots routine, time frame and judged accordingly. Style point always a plus.

Hey nice plane dth7!!;)

Last edited by a moderator:

cwojcik

70cc twin V2
So, were you keeping this a secret from me? (we were sitting next to each other at the judging seminar). You've crystallized my thoughts brother! I figured it would morph into something good and I think you've got it. Are you thinking a modified Aresti or maneuvers written out? This will certainly maximize those 48"- 80" airframes, shrink the footprint, noise print and $ outlay. Depending on judging speed this could go indoors too!

Great thinking Cody. :grrreat::thumbup:

I'm IN

The idea came to me while I was reading your old guide to aerobatics and I read that the Decathlon (at that time) was an Unlimited class airplane. Also, the idea of the 4-minute "free." It's very different in IMAC vs. IAC. In IAC, a free looks more like an unknown, and in some cases pilots will just do their known, whereas in IMAC, freestyle flying looks entirely different, and often uses entirely different airplanes, than Knowns.

Also, this can be done at much smaller fields because the flyover area will be so much less.

I think this would also be a great stepping stone into freestyle as you will perform essentially a basic sequence and learn how to string maneuvers together and have something achievable. I tossed around the idea of competing in the 38 contest at FLI, but I am so far away from that skill set (especially against Stevie) that it is probably a waste of my time.

Maybe one category could be a preset music piece with mandatory maneuvers. That could be fun for all as the required maneuvers could be different based on skill level.

That's the idea. Honestly flying freestyle is entirely different than flying precision or hucking....planning and rhythm are hugely important when you are flying to the music and not your own pace. There aren't many people with the skills and time to create a good freestyle, but there are a lot of people with good 3D skills.

I also love freestyle flying (and so does everybody else!), so I'm thinking that we can have a freestyle portion that's the same as IMAC freestyle on Sunday. So the contest would run similarly to an IMAC contest but instead of big, fast aerobatics, there would be 3D.

OK, I think that from here, we should try to develop some rules which will cover airframes, safety, judging criteria, and everything else necessary, and some sequences. I think we should have a competition this fall.

Who's down?

gyro

GSN Contributor
The idea came to me while I was reading your old guide to aerobatics and I read that the Decathlon (at that time) was an Unlimited class airplane. Also, the idea of the 4-minute "free." It's very different in IMAC vs. IAC. In IAC, a free looks more like an unknown, and in some cases pilots will just do their known, whereas in IMAC, freestyle flying looks entirely different, and often uses entirely different airplanes, than Knowns.

Also, this can be done at much smaller fields because the flyover area will be so much less.

That's the idea. Honestly flying freestyle is entirely different than flying precision or hucking....planning and rhythm are hugely important when you are flying to the music and not your own pace. There aren't many people with the skills and time to create a good freestyle, but there are a lot of people with good 3D skills.

I also love freestyle flying (and so does everybody else!), so I'm thinking that we can have a freestyle portion that's the same as IMAC freestyle on Sunday. So the contest would run similarly to an IMAC contest but instead of big, fast aerobatics, there would be 3D.

OK, I think that from here, we should try to develop some rules which will cover airframes, safety, judging criteria, and everything else necessary, and some sequences. I think we should have a competition this fall.

Who's down?

WE ARE DOWN!

And depending on "when" in the fall, we might be able to help with location.

-G

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2
im definitely in. and cody, id be more than willing to do what i can to help define certain maneuvers, think of scoring and how to grade each maneuver. the only problem i see is that you can still have a definite advantage with a larger airframe. how can the scoring or style of the event reduce the advantage for larger aircraft? also a big reason that IMAC uses large aircraft is wind. they fly and compete pretty much regardless of how much wind there is, and a larger plane has a serious advantage in the wind. if there is 15mph winds, a 48" plane would have serious diffculty flying precisely (3D can be precise too!), while a 50cc plane would handle it no problem at all

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
im definitely in. and cody, id be more than willing to do what i can to help define certain maneuvers, think of scoring and how to grade each maneuver. the only problem i see is that you can still have a definite advantage with a larger airframe. how can the scoring or style of the event reduce the advantage for larger aircraft? also a big reason that IMAC uses large aircraft is wind. they fly and compete pretty much regardless of how much wind there is, and a larger plane has a serious advantage in the wind. if there is 15mph winds, a 48" plane would have serious diffculty flying precisely (3D can be precise too!), while a 50cc plane would handle it no problem at all

That would all be part of the challenge. I think we have and do let size be a crutch to lean on. Part of the skill set is to be able to deal with the wind. When an IAC competitor shows up and it's really blowing they dont say, " oh let me go get my "high wind" airplane out of the hangar"! The judging would effect everyone in the class and size at the event. That's where IMaC is failing the full field. There should be size AND skill classes to keep it fair.
If it were real windy, the smaller class/ size pilots would have to make a decision to fly or not and take the downgrades where they come. Those up for the environmental challenge may be able to take an edge in the contest. Just sayin.

Cody we can "sample" with different ideas all season. I'm in for an organizing/ design group. A name for this new competition would be a good start!

gyro

GSN Contributor
That would all be part of the challenge. I think we have and do let size be a crutch to lean on. Part of the skill set is to be able to deal with the wind. When an IAC competitor shows up and it's really blowing they dont say, " oh let me go get my "high wind" airplane out of the hangar"! The judging would effect everyone in the class and size at the event. That's where IMaC is failing the full field. There should be size AND skill classes to keep it fair.
If it were real windy, the smaller class/ size pilots would have to make a decision to fly or not and take the downgrades where they come. Those up for the environmental challenge may be able to take an edge in the contest. Just sayin.

Cody we can "sample" with different ideas all season. I'm in for an organizing/ design group. A name for this new competition would be a good start!

I think we get some of the guidelines and ideas figured out over the next month or two, so we can start planning for an event, and people can start practicing.

My suggestion for the name is:
"3DFC"
3 Dimensional Flight Challenge

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2

be careful with that. i mean it can get very very overwhelming very quickly. how many classes do you anticipate? how do you differentiate? where do you draw the line? if you assume classes like this based on airframe:

45"-52"
53"-64"
65"-75"
75"+

If that is assuming wingspan, you really need to look at other brands than 3dhs and EF as there will be a lot of discrepancy on that front. Then do you say any power system? any battery pack?

Then lets say you split it into 4 difficulties:

Beginner
Intermediate
Advanced
Unlimited

Now your talking about 16 classes. that is insane and it would be very difficult to get people to fill up all of those classes. So you would probably limit 48" class to just beginner, and eliminate 60" from unlimited. There are a lot of things to consider and making too many regulations can turn into a mess, which is one reason why there is no size limitations for IMAC. you can see what size limitations have done to pattern. Even though they have the 2m box, airframes can cost upwards of $2000 for competition level quality.

I can go on for days about it, but i think you need to be realistic about the number of classes to offer in response to keeping it simple. Also the more people in a class the more enjoyable it is for me, and i would assume a decent amount of the population interested in this. I still think this is an awesome idea, but there are a lot of problems that come up logistically when you start limiting aircraft size

Last edited by a moderator: