• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Who would be interested in an entirely new type of competition?

cwojcik

70cc twin V2
So while at the IMAC judging school yesterday I had an idea that I thought would really resonate with the crowd here. Right now, there are a lot of great 3D pilots who have a competitive drive to get better and better, but have no competitive outlet.

Who would be interested in a scored competition of 3D flying? I'm not talking about freestyle, I'm talking about a sequence of 3D maneuvers, flown as precisely as possible, scored on execution. It would be set-up, run, judged, and scored the same as an IMAC or pattern competition (but with no airframe restrictions), but instead of big, high-speed, slow aerobatics it would be 3D or Extreme Aerobatics. Basic could stick with the easy stuff like harriers, hovers, knife edge, and blender. Intermediate could get more complicated with rolling harriers, waterfalls, torque rolls, and high-alpha knife edge. Unlimited could get crazy with rifle rolls, reversing rolling harriers, rolling loops, and slow rolls performed low and fast.

IMAC is much different than IAC in that full scale airplanes are pretty much at their limits in G-loading and power while performing an IAC routine...it's a big deal to get through a loop in a Super Cub. IAC was developed as a competition for maneuvers that people were already doing with their full scale planes. But IMAC and pattern flying is different than what most people are doing with their airplanes for fun.

I feel that there are a lot of people who don't have any interest in watching or flying IMAC maneuvers, but don't have the skill or time to string together a freestyle sequence and drive to one of the few freestyle competitions in the country (XFC, K50, 3DRC 38). But they love 3D and they love getting better and better at it.

Who would be interested in competing in something like this?

Last edited by a moderator:

hone

150cc
This sounds like an GREAT idea! It'd be so cool to have 3D based competition and i'd be willing to drive a much longer distance to go to a 3D event vs. an IMAC contest.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Cody, count "us" in. We'd be happy to be the home for a 3D competition series, and host all the associated threads and competition information.
We can also contribute to prizes :)

-G

cwojcik

70cc twin V2
Thanks for the kind words everybody, I'm glad to hear that there is a lot of interest in something like this!

The next step would be to draft a rule book and a set of sequences, then hold an informal first contest somewhere and see how it catches on.