• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Which 60" to buy!?!?

What 60" airplane do you want?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gyro

GSN Contributor
Matt I voted in your poll for the 60" Edge 540. I recently crashed mine and I am replacing it with the 60" Laser but the 60" Laser is too new. The 60" Edge is flat out an amazing plane. SO much fun to fly and so tolerant of the learning process. I have enjoyed a lot of planes in my day but the Edge is amazing.

I think an edge is a good safe choice. Everybody should have one

Can't argue here.... the 60" Edge was my second 60" plane from EF, the Extra was my first.
IMG_3758.jpg
My 60" Edge met an untimely death when I failed to loctite the elevator servo arm screw, and the arm backed off the spline. She was only 30 flights old :(

Since I had just purchased the 64" MXS at the time, I didn't replace the Edge right away, but I have truly missed her ever since, and I'm just about done building the 88" Edge... I still might go back and get the 60" again one day, it was as much fun as the MXS, but even more stable in low and slow.

-G

wedoitall

See the thing with the MXS and I didn't know it till Cody gave me this lil tip, try it with a forward CG. IMO is flys best with a slightly forward CG. The MXS with a forward CG still flys like most neutral. Coupling is no issue. Still tumbles, rolls, harriers, hovers, etc the same but alil more precise overall. Sayin that tho, I still believe the Edge is the safe choice. But personally I usually don't make "safe" choices :D

mattpina

New to GSN!
The edge is the first single place plane I ever flown so it holds a special place in my hart. The MX2 though is a plane I've been wishing to fly for a couple years now. I don't know what I'd rather have.

What website do you guys use to buy motors and esc's?

wedoitall

well I know the Torque and Airboss work really well.

I run Motrolfly motors myself, Subsonicplanes.com. Ken Young at Subsonic has outstanding service. I usually run Castle esc, but the new ZTW Gecko's look really good

skibum44

70cc twin V2
I couldn't disagree more with Jmart. When setup with a 6s 2600 (same weight as the 4s4000s that most run in the 3dhs planes) the EF planes are about as light. My vote is for the 60" Extra... flies like its on rails and it draws such beautiful lines and when it slows down it could 3d with the best of them. Owned the 48 &60" Edge and the 48 &60"MXS too, and all were great flying airplanes without any bad tendencies when setup right. That said I own a 57" Extra and set it up with the 6s 2600s which I run in a 500 pro and in a 12s slick... it is a good flying plane too. IMO, not as precise but low and slow hard to beat. Glad I have both, but if I could only have one, I choose the 60".

EDIT: Forgot to mention... I do enjoy both planes with 6s2600-6s3300. They are so versatile they handle the weight difference easily.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
I voted for the 60" Edge 540 even though I just bought a new 60" Laser, why.................the Edge has stood the test and is simply the best flying out there with no bad habits. The Laser however looks awesome and might take it down. Kit quality for sure has raised the bar just to early to tell.

YellowJacketsRC

70cc twin V2
Matt I voted in your poll for the 60" Edge 540. I recently crashed mine and I am replacing it with the 60" Laser but the 60" Laser is too new. The 60" Edge is flat out an amazing plane. SO much fun to fly and so tolerant of the learning process. I have enjoyed a lot of planes in my day but the Edge is amazing.

Edge is Awesome and makes me look WAY better than I am!

gyro

GSN Contributor
That's it! I'm ordering a new edge!

My 64" MXS is up for grabs. $200 airframe only!

YellowJacketsRC

70cc twin V2
Oh, and if your gonna get an EF frame there is no reason in the world to not get the Power combo. First, you can't really get better performance (I mean maybe you could if you spent ridiculous money on some sort of super high end motor???) and for the price break you get when you buy it all together I just can't imagine why anyone would go elsewhere.