• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Which 60" to buy!?!?

What 60" airplane do you want?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mattpina

New to GSN!
Hey guys, I'm new to the thread but it looks like I'll be spend a lot of time here in the coming weeks.

I've been flying rc planes for a long time now but since I've moved to Chicago I've been forced to fly small foamys seeing as there's no flying fields around here other then the small school soccer field down the block. I have a 32" Crack Pitts and Crack Edge and I love them both. I love the Pitts so much I bought my father one in MA.

My father recently re-joined his local flying field in southern MA, so I've decided to get a 50-60" 3d plane to keep at his place to fly at his field when I'm there visiting. But, the problem is, I'm not entirely sure what to buy.

I've narrowed it down to the Extreme Flight 64"MXS and 60" Edge, Extra and Laser. I really like all four of those planes and the 3DHS ~60" Edge, Extra or Slick but I don't know which one I should get. Both companies seem to be high quality and people seem to like them both. All of these planes seem to fly great and they all look awesome.

I don't know what to do! ha.

It's hard, I cant go down to my field and talk because I'm usually 1,000 miles away and I'm only in MA for a week every other month.

Anyway, thanks for your time and I'm sorry if I'm just rehashing a conversation that's already been had on this forum.

jmart95

70cc twin V2
I've flown all of the above except the new 60 in. laser. My personal favorite is the 3dhs 57 extra, closely followed by their 58 in. edge. I'm not a huge fan of the Extreme Flights in this size, they feel a bit more heavy and sluggish, and the mxs will get you in trouble(it will snap out, and isn't always predictable) if you're not used to it, and you can't ever really have a flight with it that looks nice and polished. I've flown my dad's mxs quite a bit now, and I'm pretty comfortable with it, but I wouldn't buy one for myself. The 57 Extra is the best all around plane in my opinion, tracks on rails, tumbles just as well as the 64 mxs, but it is extremely floaty, and I've seen no bad habbits with it. Not too mention, you have alot more options for battery set ups than the EF planes. The slick was fun(very floaty) and the EF edge was cool too, but both lack the excitement in an airframe that I really enjoy, I felt that they didn't allow me to be at my full potential while flying them. With all that said, I've thoroughly enjoyed the 48 laser, so if the 60 laser is anything like it, I'd say that either it or the EF extra would fall directly after the 3dhs extra and edge. I hope that helps.

SnowDog

mattpina, good to have you on the site! I see from your comments that you moved to Chicago. I'm in the northwest suburbs of Chicago and I've been here for awhile (ok, my whole life, which is quite a while ;)) so where you located exactly? I know where most of the flying clubs are, including the one I'm a member of and president of. :|
If you are able to come out to the burbs there are a lot of good options for great flying sites that handle 60" and much larger planes. We have guys with 100cc planes at our field, no problem. PM me your contact info if you dont mind. I'd love to get together some time.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I've flown all of the above except the new 60 in. laser. My personal favorite is the 3dhs 57 extra, closely followed by their 58 in. edge. I'm not a huge fan of the Extreme Flights in this size, they feel a bit more heavy and sluggish, and the mxs will get you in trouble(it will snap out, and isn't always predictable) if you're not used to it, and you can't ever really have a flight with it that looks nice and polished. I've flown my dad's mxs quite a bit now, and I'm pretty comfortable with it, but I wouldn't buy one for myself. The 57 Extra is the best all around plane in my opinion, tracks on rails, tumbles just as well as the 64 mxs, but it is extremely floaty, and I've seen no bad habbits with it. Not too mention, you have alot more options for battery set ups than the EF planes. The slick was fun(very floaty) and the EF edge was cool too, but both lack the excitement in an airframe that I really enjoy, I felt that they didn't allow me to be at my full potential while flying them. With all that said, I've thoroughly enjoyed the 48 laser, so if the 60 laser is anything like it, I'd say that either it or the EF extra would fall directly after the 3dhs extra and edge. I hope that helps.

Unfortunately, I have to disagree with Justin here. I have owned each of the airplanes listed above, with the exception of the laser. However, I did fly the laser in bowling green a few weeks ago.
I currently own EF MXS and the 3dhs Edge.
In my opinion, the majority of these planes fly more similarly than different. The exception is the 59 Slick, which has a little bit of its own flavor. I have never found ANY of the EF airplanes to be unstable, and none of them ever felt sluggish or heavy. The MXS is one of my favorite airplanes ever to fly, and it's very stable in post stall, yet excellent at precision with the rates dialed down some.

Too many variables, such as power systems, servos, and CG placement, come into play for any one person to speak definitively about how these airplanes fly.

I think you have narrowed your list down to some of the best airplanes available today to the 3D community. Pick which ever one you like the looks of the best and get out in fly, I am positive that you will not be disappointed with any of them.

G

jmart95

70cc twin V2
Unfortunately, I have to disagree with Justin here. I have owned each of the airplanes listed above, with the exception of the laser. However, I did fly the laser in bowling green a few weeks ago.
I currently own EF MXS and the 3dhs Edge.
In my opinion, the majority of these planes fly more similarly than different. The exception is the 59 Slick, which has a little bit of its own flavor. I have never found ANY of the EF airplanes to be unstable, and none of them ever felt sluggish or heavy. The MXS is one of my favorite airplanes ever to fly, and it's very stable in post stall, yet excellent at precision with the rates dialed down some.

Too many variables, such as power systems, servos, and CG placement, come into play for any one person to speak definitively about how these airplanes fly.

I think you have narrowed your list down to some of the best airplanes available today to the 3D community. Pick which ever one you like the looks of the best and get out in fly, I am positive that you will not be disappointed with any of them.

G
Good point, I feel it important as well to mention that any of them will make you happy, all of them are great,I'm just very nit picky in what I like in an airframe. Looking back at my post, it looks a bit more negatively on the extreme flight planes than I meant, they have great airframes, I just prefer the 3dhs ones in this size for my flying style. The only one I didn't care for was the mxs(I learned to fly using my dad's setups, and so it's what I'm used to and like for a setup), and I'd still give it an 8 out of 10 as an airframe. I sounded more harsh on the airframe than I was trying to convey

I have only owned a few of this size as it typically is not my favorite size of plane. On a cost basis, my 30cc electrics are close enough for me to favor them. However transport is much better with the 60" planes in a car.

I am doing the laser because it was hands down the best 48" plane I have flown and this plane seems like a winner from all reports.

These are all good airplanes, except the 59" Slick. Something is just not right with that design for hardcore 3D flying. One of the local guys coming from sport flying loves the thing though.

EXTREME FLIGHT

SITE SPONSOR

Really? Really????!!!??? Are you kidding? I know you are trying real hard to get sponsored by 3DHS, but talking smack about other brands is not going to help you get there buddy.:thumbsdown:

Just in case you need to see "nice and polished" please view this:
[video=youtube_share;8Ml8zmXR7MA]http://youtu.be/8Ml8zmXR7MA[/video]

jmart95

70cc twin V2
Really? Really????!!!??? Are you kidding? I know you are trying real hard to get sponsored by 3DHS, but talking smack about other brands is not going to help you get there buddy.:thumbsdown:

Just in case you need to see "nice and polished" please view this:
[video=youtube_share;8Ml8zmXR7MA]http://youtu.be/8Ml8zmXR7MA[/video]

Again, this definitely came across differently than I meant for it to, it was meant to be 1 pilot's opinion to another pilot, not a brand-bashing post, so I apologize if it came across as such. It wasn't a "go 3dhs, boo ef" thing to get that cleared up, I regularly fly the 48 laser and yak exp's, and am thinking about trying my hand at IMAC competitions with the 88in. Extra. The "nice and polished" wasn't pertaining to all the extreme flight airframes, it was my impression of the mxs from flying it(my fathers' and I've taken laps on 2 others) in comparison to the other airframes mentioned. I know I work harder to get smoothness out of his 64 than I do for example with my 48 laser, it's a plane that wants to get crazy, but take's more finesse when I tried pattern and imac maneuvers with it. That's where both the 3dhs extra and edge, and the ef extra shine. They're not the all out aggressive plane that the mxs is, but it has the mix of crazy 3d, while flying on rails, and I do like the floatier 3dhs set ups, which seals the deal for me and my flying style.

And Wow! Daniel Holman never fails to impress! :veryshocked:

Last edited by a moderator:

wedoitall

Dude, the EF MXS is awesome. I don't know what you could have done to it to supposedly make it fly bad, but you obviously did something wrong on the setup. Im a noob and the MXS makes me look goooood. This is one of the most popular planes in the 50-60" range and it hasn't been out on the market very long. "snap out and isn't predictable", pfffffttt that's funny.

check this out, Cody throwing down the MXS. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJzkoZ12hPU