• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

What's Up With 3DHS??

xlr8tion

50cc
Oh it's a blessing...I'll get a tube much stronger. And my wife hates me more than 3DHS- so its all good:cool:

The karma is mine but it's missing from the sleeve in the wing bag.

I'll just use pvc instead:deadhorse:

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Gary...what's the Inside diameter on those? I can find 16mm all day long and just need the Inside diameter and get one 5x as strong as the China Fiber in ksi.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409194493.532731.jpg

xlr8tion

50cc
I can find 16mm x 13 ID x 1000mm the extra thickness won't affect the flight characteristics as it would be about 7 per cent heavier.

I'll keep looking and leave 3DHS out of this.

Thanks for the ID...16 x 14 is very common in 500 mm lengths. if it weighs 240 grams, eg, we are talking 17 grams heavier in 13 mm ID...Now I see it is 1.5mm thick so 13 would be about 10.3% heavier. No big deal spreading 1 gm along each inch as long as the tube is centered.

http://www.dragonplate.com/ecart/product.asp?pID=4564&cID=102

Bivens

50cc
The last time I checked...both 3dhs and EF are small businesses run by great folks that enjoy what they do....both businesses sell their product quickly without dealing with the baggage of significant quanitites of unsold product on the warehouse racks....both companies are growing at a practical and responsible rate for small businesses that want to maintain a "relatively" low stress level among the main guys who have their own financial lives on the line for their own company.....the products continue to evolve and improve....and the only common complaints are...

1) 3dhs doesn't answer the phone or emails fast enough or at all....

2) both 3dhs and EF are out-of-stock on whatever the person posting wanted to buy at the time....

Possibly, since they sell out of stock to others who don't whine about poor service, they are content to avoid the whiners if possible and keep their workday enjoyable...after all, the stock sells itself, even with "perceived" poor service, or intermittent stock.

And...I wouldn't even begin to compare the way a 3dhs or EF plane flies to many mainstream manufacturers....these small companies do make top-notch planes......

Also, like it or not, there is a significant community that enjoys their products who have relationships directly with both companies through meeting them at events and hanging out....and that's the plus side of the customer service argument...it's nice to hang out and meet the owners and designers at events.

I don't think either company ever had a goal of conquering the world or growing to match HH's ability to provide unlimited stock and a fully staffed phone call center....Possibly, these two companies are able to produce top-notch cutting edge products because they DON'T have the ties that bind creativity on a mainstream level.

I don't think either EF or 3DHS will be going anywhere anytime soon.....and those of you that love the planes simply keep an eye out for the airframes we want to come into stock, then we get in early on the pre-orders...because that's how to get what you are after in the first place...great aircraft.

Is there a different way to structure or run the business...yes...but there is a relationship between constantly in stock and money sitting on the shelf in the warehouse.....and there are risk-vs-reward questions that become very important to small businesses trying to thrive in a relatively small part of the overall RC industry...

HH has taken the other route by working in all aspects of RC....planes, heli's, quads, electronics, cars, boats, etc... It's not practical to compare 3dhs and EF to a company like HH any more than it is to compare a local microbrewery with awesome beer to Anheuser Busch.........maybe it's just my style, but my planes come from 3dhs, but I'd also fly EF if I wasn't involved with the 3dhs team.....and my beer comes from the local microbrewery..........and I don't complain when October rolls around and the Fall season of beers are on tap, just because I can't get the summer ones any more or the winter ones yet.....

It is also very interesting to note.....Ben used to have a BIG presence online.....and Noll did.....both of them have stepped back quite a bit from the forums....I'm sure the negativity and criticism on the forums used to raise to their stress level, but it is probably relaxing to them now to find out that many of the "flamers" are now are buying planes from Horizon since their customer service is awesome and their planes are always in stock......

Personally, I also understand the challenges of working in a small business that requires some level of customer service and our company does compete directly with a huge company that also does what we do.....we don't attack our industry the same way the large competitor does...but we are both still in business and growing at a significant but responsible rate over the past 10 years since I've been there......sure, we could've taken on the world, but we too prefer a low-key approach to things...we don't want to grow that fast because there is significant pain and risk involved....so we choose our battles. I'm sure that we too have a constant stream of customers who don't do business with us because we've wronged them in some way......but wait, we must not be doing too bad, since we are steadily growing at a rate that we can live with....and there's always an adequate supply of work to do.

It's possible to sit on the sidelines and say how you'd run a company better..... So, if that's the way you feel, go for it......jump right in...that's what Ben did years ago....and he's still in the business, just not running it the way you would...

Relax...it's just toy planes...unless it's your paycheck, and even then it's possible to relax to some degree....

Have a nice day, and if your fortunate enough to own one of the planes from these two fine companies.....fly, enjoy, repeat...

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I have been a critic... not saying that will go away because I get aggravated sometimes lol. But that is a great perspective Bivens. I guess it is just hard to accept when you want one and can't get it... but I can only envy the lifestyle of guys that can actually make a living doing what they love with toy airplanes. If they can be successful at it without a lot of stress I suppose that is great for them.

xlr8tion

50cc
Why are you breaking the truce?

The last time I checked...both 3dhs and EF are small businesses run by great folks that enjoy what they do....both businesses sell their product quickly without dealing with the baggage of significant quanitites of unsold product on the warehouse racks....both companies are growing at a practical and responsible rate for small businesses that want to maintain a "relatively" low stress level among the main guys who have their own financial lives on the line for their own company.....the products continue to evolve and improve....and the only common complaints are...

2) both 3dhs and EF are out-of-stock on whatever the person posting wanted to buy at the time....

Possibly, since they sell out of stock to others who don't whine about poor service, they are content to avoid the whiners if possible and keep their workday enjoyable...after all, the stock sells itself, even with "perceived" poor service, or intermittent stock.

And...I wouldn't even begin to compare the way a 3dhs or EF plane flies to many mainstream manufacturers....these small companies do make top-notch planes......

Also, like it or not, there is a significant community that enjoys their products who have relationships directly with both companies through meeting them at events and hanging out....and that's the plus side of the customer service argument...it's nice to hang out and meet the owners and designers at events.

I don't think either company ever had a goal of conquering the world or growing to match HH's ability to provide unlimited stock and a fully staffed phone call center....Possibly, these two companies are able to produce top-notch cutting edge products because they DON'T have the ties that bind creativity on a mainstream level.

I don't think either EF or 3DHS will be going anywhere anytime soon.....and those of you that love the planes simply keep an eye out for the airframes we want to come into stock, then we get in early on the pre-orders...because that's how to get what you are after in the first place...great aircraft.

Is there a different way to structure or run the business...yes...but there is a relationship between constantly in stock and money sitting on the shelf in the warehouse.....and there are risk-vs-reward questions that become very important to small businesses trying to thrive in a relatively small part of the overall RC industry...

HH has taken the other route by working in all aspects of RC....planes, heli's, quads, electronics, cars, boats, etc... It's not practical to compare 3dhs and EF to a company like HH any more than it is to compare a local microbrewery with awesome beer to Anheuser Busch.........maybe it's just my style, but my planes come from 3dhs, but I'd also fly EF if I wasn't involved with the 3dhs team.....and my beer comes from the local microbrewery..........and I don't complain when October rolls around and the Fall season of beers are on tap, just because I can't get the summer ones any more or the winter ones yet.....

It is also very interesting to note.....Ben used to have a BIG presence online.....and Noll did.....both of them have stepped back quite a bit from the forums....I'm sure the negativity and criticism on the forums used to raise to their stress level, but it is probably relaxing to them now to find out that many of the "flamers" are now are buying planes from Horizon since their customer service is awesome and their planes are always in stock......

Personally, I also understand the challenges of working in a small business that requires some level of customer service and our company does compete directly with a huge company that also does what we do.....we don't attack our industry the same way the large competitor does...but we are both still in business and growing at a significant but responsible rate over the past 10 years since I've been there......sure, we could've taken on the world, but we too prefer a low-key approach to things...we don't want to grow that fast because there is significant pain and risk involved....so we choose our battles. I'm sure that we too have a constant stream of customers who don't do business with us because we've wronged them in some way......but wait, we must not be doing too bad, since we are steadily growing at a rate that we can live with....and there's always an adequate supply of work to do.

It's possible to sit on the sidelines and say how you'd run a company better..... So, if that's the way you feel, go for it......jump right in...that's what Ben did years ago....and he's still in the business, just not running it the way you would...

Relax...it's just toy planes...unless it's your paycheck, and even then it's possible to relax to some degree....

Have a nice day, and if your fortunate enough to own one of the planes from these two fine companies.....fly, enjoy, repeat...

Bivens...

Why are you reopening a topic that was "put to bed" in post 40?

Where I said....

Firstly to the sponsored pilots I respect you and yur talents...I just mean sponsored in that you are not a consumer in the same way the average intermediate pilot is with your relationship to your sponsor vs me if I buy from them.

Swede..I also respect your responsibility and quotas. If you fail to meet them you get fired at worst. If I failed; 175 employees would have lost gainful employment.

I know I am coming off as condescending and I apologize for that.

Can we just wish all these companies be it HH or 3DHS or EF the best of luck as we like to fly and the more competition the better.

I will tone it down and please just accept my apology for offending anyone.

I don't care about these companies but I do care about not burning bridges as I seem to be doing-but building some instead.

Regards...

Greg

What do you want..me to self immolate myself?

AKfreak

150cc

Nice post, just so I am clear, you are a Sponsored Team 3DHS pilot right?

Edit, I read your post and responded, If I had read further I would of seen the conformation that you were in fact a 3DHS team pilot. I heard your name dropped many times on the 3DHS podcast.

Your perspective isnt the same as a regular customer, its interesting to hear the way think about EF and 3DHS. To me its like this, you don't have to please the world, you only do what makes you happy and if others buy in to your program and what you are into them great. If not someone else will.

The think that sets 3DHS and EF apart is performance, its that simple. If their planes didn't perform, they would just go out of business. Mark my words, if an entry level company can find a way to replicate the kind of performance that 3D & EF do, and offer planes at a fraction of the price. You just might see the game change, I for one would love to see the game change.

After all, they are all about the same amount of balsa, carbon, glue, and covering. The design is everything in this game. Its like a Coke and Pepsi formula vs Cola, the Coke and Pepsi customers are the ones the rest of industry is after.