• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Unbiased answer?

nebwake

70cc twin V2
I had an early v1 123 that had several serious issues from the get go. I was motorless for some time while the bugs got worked out. I got a replacement v2 that i happened to have sold but it still runs very well and pulls like a mule. Its also very smooth. I have a gp61 on a plane now that is so far so good, but kinda finicky on tuning, but even now without being broken in it pulls like a mule.

witchfingers

70cc twin V2
Where are people buying parts? I did some more reading up. Sounds like ignition problems now. I think for now a DA will be great. Next build I will see if there are any GP's actually in stock. They seem to sell out the minute they come in. That's a good thing.

witchfingers

70cc twin V2
Just to let you guys know, I found a dle 111 slightly used from a good guy on this forum. It was cheap enough I could also get my servos after buying the engine. I figure this will work great until I get really comfortable with the plane and then decide if I want to step up in horsepower. Thanks for all of your input and knowledge.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Very cool, one thing I would suggest (if it were me) is to set up the plane and fly it without the smoke system to keep the weight nice and light. This will give you a good feel on how the plane flies before you add the weight of the smoke system. Pump, tank, lines, fuel dot, oil etc. all adds up quick. My Edge with the DA120 had no trouble but it did I could still feel the difference with certain things.

Plus I really dorked up the covering, I gave a friend @helicanic a screaming deal on it and he is going to clean it up and get it back in the air soon. Looking forward to seeing him fly it at Nall next year since he recently moved to Greenville SC (bastard:().

Here is a smoky flight just messing around at the Black Hills Huckfest last year.

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
Very cool, one thing I would suggest (if it were me) is to set up the plane and fly it without the smoke system to keep the weight nice and light. This will give you a good feel on how the plane flies before you add the weight of the smoke system. Pump, tank, lines, fuel dot, oil etc. all adds up quick. My Edge with the DA120 had no trouble but it did I could still feel the difference with certain things.

Plus I really dorked up the covering, I gave a friend @helicanic a screaming deal on it and he is going to clean it up and get it back in the air soon. Looking forward to seeing him fly it at Nall next year since he recently moved to Greenville SC (bastard:().

Here is a smoky flight just messing around at the Black Hills Huckfest last year.

GREAT advice, I just weighed my Slick bout a week ago (almost 20lbs :() I'm guessing but I think the smoke system added at least 1 1/2 pounds. I wish I had built without smoke first.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I would use some sort of insurance. Whether it be pins or bolted in. Won't added any measureable weight so to speak of, but could save a motor from being airmailed separately from your airframe.

Agree, pinning the firewall is a must on all giant scale planes. I have had a couple come loose even with pinning, so at least you notice a little looseness instead of a big mess! I have gone to this as my standard process:
- Apply some medium CA to any open gaps around the entire firewall structure. Repeat a couple times if needed but smooth over so the glue is not built up on the surface.
- Install some small basswood tri-stock on the front outside edges of the firewall.
- Make sure that as much of the inside of the firewall has larger tri-stock installed.
- Make sure engine box top and bottom is secure, no gaps, add tri-stock as needed.
- If the firewall is held with aluminum angle....remove the aluminum angle, scuff the back, install with 30 minute epoxy and install the screws before the epoxy has set.
- Now I install the engine and pin the firewall, my favorite is to use 9/16" servo screws, pre drill and soak the holes with thin CA. Second choice is 1/8" hardwood dowels.