• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D to iBEc or not to iBEc that is my question

Rooman

30cc
I run the TechAero Ibec on all my CS twin spark 3w's - no issues to date, i use the gear switch on the Tx to kill the engine
I do believe AMA requires a Tx kill switch on gasoline powered models,
I would never rely on a fully closed throttle butterfly or choke to stop an engine - kill the spark and you know for sure the engine will shut down

I used IBEC's on my planes until recently when I noticed the servos beginning to stall at speed. I had 7.4V packs and used no regulator but still they were stalling. I went to a Smart-Fly Power Expander system with their Failsafe Access Panels and poof, the servos had plenty of power because so many of the voltage drops along the way had been eliminated. I did whole story and video on the project and have been getting lots of "me too" emails from others with a similar problem. I like this solution because it has everything I want in one unit, the battery protection, fiber optic ignition kill and something I didn;t ex[ect is how yo can use all of the servo inputs like an electronic Y-cord. Very cool

http://www.flyingrc.net/stallsrvos.html

Rooman

30cc
I used IBEC's on my planes until recently when I noticed the servos beginning to stall at speed. I had 7.4V packs and used no regulator but still they were stalling. I went to a Smart-Fly Power Expander system with their Failsafe Access Panels and poof, the servos had plenty of power because so many of the voltage drops along the way had been eliminated. I did whole story and video on the project and have been getting lots of "me too" emails from others with a similar problem. I like this solution because it has everything I want in one unit, the battery protection, fiber optic ignition kill and something I didn;t ex[ect is how yo can use all of the servo inputs like an electronic Y-cord. Very cool

http://www.flyingrc.net/stallsrvos.html
If servos are stalling your install is incorect for the plane
Ive never seen a situation where a IBEC droped voltage so far that servos stalled.....you must have other issues present

If servos are stalling your install is incorect for the plane
Ive never seen a situation where a IBEC droped voltage so far that servos stalled.....you must have other issues present
Yes, the IBEC was just one part of the overall system that had too many switches, connections (because of add-ons) rather than one unit. Go rid of all the add-on stuff and all works fine.

Rooman

30cc
TechAero ibec's dont have any switches, it plugs directly in to the reciever or into the powerbox - how does it have to many switches ?
with no ibec bridges in circuit the voltage output from the ibec to the ignition module should be 5.8 volts - this is what I measured directly

Torquerolljoe

Wannabe Pilot!!
I have always been a proponent of the KISS principle. I have never used any powerboxes or similar in any of my planes. I have always used the receiver to handle all the power consumption of any plane from .40 sized to my 170cc 43% planes. With that being said, I started using IBEC's in 2012 on all my birds to eliminate extra switches, optical kills and batteries. So far, I have not had any issues with any of my birds stalling servos including the Aeroworks Freestyle 260 I did have. That bird, btw, was a blast to fly!! Just too small for my liking!! Just my 2 cents...

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
Yes, the IBEC was just one part of the overall system that had too many switches, connections (because of add-ons) rather than one unit. Go rid of all the add-on stuff and all works fine.
There is a good reason to use the power safe RX's. Super simple and provide all the power you need.