• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

This is done flying for a while

Mikeq

150cc
Friend of mine, lost his entire house and shop due to a fire. Everyone speculated it was a lipo fire. Not the case. It was due to faulty wiring in the basement. The home builder used lamp cord to wire up the basement. Lamp cord is good for about 3A.

The case in the above video, again, they, the owner, speculated a lipo fire.

The times that lipo are unsafe are when they become damaged, over discharging and charging at too fast of a rate. A lipo sitting on a shelf will not ignite. It is very much like a loaded hand gun. It takes an action to have a reaction.

I have probably 75 lipo packs in my house, and none are in containers. Some are swollen, some are damaged (made sure they were discharged to 0). I have been dealing with lipo since I first heard of them.

How many vendors and dealers have lipos just stored on shelves?? Probably all of them. Do you think that they have each lipo in a baggie?? Nope.

I leave lipos in my aircraft year round, charge them in the airplane. I do just about everything wrong to them, and nothing happens. Knock on wood. I have everything from 1S 130 packs to 6S 5300 heli packs. When I fly indoor 2S stuff, I carry around 15 packs in my jacket pockets. 1 side for charged, the other for discharged.

I do agree on safety. But how safe can one be? This isnt meant to ruffle any feathers, but just general statements. If you have a lipo that is of any concern, then it should be placed in the middle of a concrete floor, with nothing around. Outside is even better, in a driveway. That way, if something were to happen, you do not loose any investment.

As you can tell, Im very PRO lipo. I have never been a fan of A123 packs. There are people out there who love them. That is great! Im estatic that you like them that much. Lipo for me, until I see fit for another battery change. :)

Bunky I know plenty of people like you and some who have deliberately tried to get their batteries to catch fire and they never did but there is always that possibility of it occurring for what ever reason...I like lipos but I also realize the potential for fire could be there....never say never...

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Knock on wood, I've never had an issue with my lipos. I even have them sitting in my 50cc right now. Sometimes **** just happens, and that's all that can be said about it. We can only do so much, sometimes greater forces are in charge and all we can do is just sit back.

What I can suggest is if you want to store your lipos safely then put them in a homemade concrete bunker. I had one, but it got damaged when moving it to its new home, I'll post a DIY sometime soon when i get the pieces to assemble it again. It's not expensive either.