• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

This is done flying for a while

Islandflyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
My friend son just lost his shop due to a fire.
Thankfully, only material damage, and no one hurt.
He is not a beginner, and has been using LiPos for many years.

This is precisely why I do not use them unless I have no choice.
I have no choice in electric powered airplanes.
I have many safer choices for my gassers...

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Lithium fires are exceedingly rare these days. They can happen, but it's not likely. I keep all mine charged to a storage level to minimize energy potential, and I keep them inside of a big metal container. I am currently working on creating a concrete bunker out of cinder blocks.

It's unfortunate to hear though. Just gotta keep your eyes peeled and take proper care of your packs.

Islandflyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
@ISLAND FLYER

Is insurance covering any of his lose?
I don't know, I have not spoken to him: I got the info from our Hawaii club email today. I met him when he visited his dad in Hawaii.
The fire happened in the San Diego area.
This guy was quite experienced with LiPos.

This is just a reminder: I remember reading a couple or years ago that Curtis Youngblood (multiple times heli world champion, and heli designer) got injured from a liPo fire. Also not a beginner, and certainly as careful as any of us around our equipment...
http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=301380

Mikeq

150cc
I read the Curtis Youngblood link you provided and he was charging when this happened and it seems that all the lipo fires I have heard about only occurred while charging. Were the batteries being charged in the shop fire incident? I watched the video but don't remember the captions stating so.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Wow that is so sad. Most LiPo fires occur during charging but does not sound like this was the case. Has it been determined it was the LiPos and nothing else?