• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

This is done flying for a while

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
My friend son just lost his shop due to a fire.
Thankfully, only material damage, and no one hurt.
He is not a beginner, and has been using LiPos for many years.

This is precisely why I do not use them unless I have no choice.
I have no choice in electric powered airplanes.
I have many safer choices for my gassers...

So @Islandflyer you post has me re-thinking my batter options for my 100cc PAU Edge 540. I looked at Fromeco's site and I always thought Lithium Ion were 6.0 V but I see these for 7.4V Is this a good option for HV servos then? Do you fly HV and what packs are you using?
http://www.fromeco.org/Products/01FRC2600-100/

Islandflyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1

Islandflyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I read the Curtis Youngblood link you provided and he was charging when this happened and it seems that all the lipo fires I have heard about only occurred while charging. Were the batteries being charged in the shop fire incident? I watched the video but don't remember the captions stating so.
He had charged several batteries, and was down to the last one. He stepped away for a few minutes to get something in the house, and that is when the fire started.

Islandflyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I can't even imagine loosing 35 years worth of R/C and having to start all over again.

@Islandflyer
Herve, if you have a way of getting in touch with this guy, let him know he has a $250 credit @ Express Pawn & Gun. I'm a Great Planes and Horizon Hobby stocking dealer. So if he needs a new radio, charger, etc., I can hook him up.
Thanks, I will let him know.

Mikeq

150cc
I can't even imagine loosing 35 years worth of R/C and having to start all over again.

@Islandflyer
Herve, if you have a way of getting in touch with this guy, let him know he has a $250 credit @ Express Pawn & Gun. I'm a Great Planes and Horizon Hobby stocking dealer. So if he needs a new radio, charger, etc., I can hook him up.

Mike you're a super nice dude...I don't care what Decal Dennis says about you..LOL That certainly is a major loss...be tough to put a dollar value on it cause some of the stuff I'm sure is irreplaceable.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Yes, that is what I use: two 5200 MaH packs for the receiver, and one 2600 MaH for the ignition.
Wow 10,400 MaH for receiver and servos, how many flights do you get on that? Are you using them for HV servos or a voltage regulator for 6v? Another question I forgot to ask you are you using a SmartFly power system? I have a R6014HS 14 channel receiver and was thinking of what I have done before using a Wolverine switch with two inputs and 3 JR outputs to the receiver.

Islandflyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Wow 10,400 MaH for receiver and servos, how many flights do you get on that? Are you using them for HV servos or a voltage regulator for 6v? Another question I forgot to ask you are you using a SmartFly power system? I have a R6014HS 14 channel receiver and was thinking of what I have done before using a Wolverine switch with two inputs and 3 JR outputs to the receiver.
10,400 MaH the way I fly can probaly last 10 flights, and even more with the new Hitec 9380 I am installing right now (they use less power).
The way Gaby, Spencer, or Dean fly, that can probably past 5 or 6 flights.
Since last year, I started running everything High voltage via Smartfly power system (Competition 12 for 100cc and up, Sport plus on 50cc).

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"

@Islandflyer
Mike what a stand up offer to make, truly a testament to what GSN is all about.

Friend of mine, lost his entire house and shop due to a fire. Everyone speculated it was a lipo fire. Not the case. It was due to faulty wiring in the basement. The home builder used lamp cord to wire up the basement. Lamp cord is good for about 3A.

The case in the above video, again, they, the owner, speculated a lipo fire.

The times that lipo are unsafe are when they become damaged, over discharging and charging at too fast of a rate. A lipo sitting on a shelf will not ignite. It is very much like a loaded hand gun. It takes an action to have a reaction.

I have probably 75 lipo packs in my house, and none are in containers. Some are swollen, some are damaged (made sure they were discharged to 0). I have been dealing with lipo since I first heard of them.

How many vendors and dealers have lipos just stored on shelves?? Probably all of them. Do you think that they have each lipo in a baggie?? Nope.

I leave lipos in my aircraft year round, charge them in the airplane. I do just about everything wrong to them, and nothing happens. Knock on wood. I have everything from 1S 130 packs to 6S 5300 heli packs. When I fly indoor 2S stuff, I carry around 15 packs in my jacket pockets. 1 side for charged, the other for discharged.

I do agree on safety. But how safe can one be? This isnt meant to ruffle any feathers, but just general statements. If you have a lipo that is of any concern, then it should be placed in the middle of a concrete floor, with nothing around. Outside is even better, in a driveway. That way, if something were to happen, you do not loose any investment.

As you can tell, Im very PRO lipo. I have never been a fan of A123 packs. There are people out there who love them. That is great! Im estatic that you like them that much. Lipo for me, until I see fit for another battery change. :)