• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Did the baffling on my Yak Tuesday night, she's just about ready to huck :)

21055963_10214970822330958_7993664966582255839_o.jpg

21056105_10214970821450936_2860199577352043961_o.jpg

A few flights to seat the engine this weekend.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
One question did you sand the cowl before you clear coated it. If you did what number paper did you use. Thanks.
One word of warning, don't sand "metallic" colored true "basecoats" before you clear. It can go horribly wrong in a hurry. If you do have to sand, mist another coat of base over it before you clear.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
One word of warning, don't sand "metallic" colored true "basecoats" before you clear. It can go horribly wrong in a hurry. If you do have to sand, mist another coat of base over it before you clear.

Wow thanks you saved my but don't know how to thank you. I was trying to find some 1000 grit paper and it was hard to find was going to pick up some tomorrow. But now I do not need any will clear coat it tomorrow and be done with it thanks again.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Wow thanks you saved my but don't know how to thank you. I was trying to find some 1000 grit paper and it was hard to find was going to pick up some tomorrow. But now I do not need any will clear coat it tomorrow and be done with it thanks again.
If I may interject here, do not use anything more than 600 grit sandpaper. Something that I learned is that even though we Endeavor to get the nicest finish possible on our painted items, the surface being painted also needs to have some grip for the new paint to hang on to. If anything more than 600 grit sandpaper is used, the surface doesn't have enough grip and the paint will just peel or chip right off. It was actually recommended that I use 400 however 600 can be used if done very gingerly. That is why I suggested very carefully and lightly wet sanding. Do not go overboard. I hope this helps you.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
If I may interject here, do not use anything more than 600 grit sandpaper. Something that I learned is that even though we Endeavor to get the nicest finish possible on our painted items, the surface being painted also needs to have some grip for the new paint to hang on to. If anything more than 600 grit sandpaper is used, the surface doesn't have enough grip and the paint will just peel or chip right off. It was actually recommended that I use 400 however 600 can be used if done very gingerly. That is why I suggested very carefully and lightly wet sanding. Do not go overboard. I hope this helps you.
Thanks I am still learning or figuring out this paint. To be honest I have never done base coat clear coat before. All I have ever done is lacquer paint, dope and lots of Stits. But really do appreciate all the help thanks.

BalsaDust

IMG_0899.JPG
IMG_0901.JPG
IMG_0902.JPG
IMG_0909.JPG

So I cut a couple short kits a while back for me and some buddy's of the 35" UL Slick that a probro designed. Plane flys awesome. Finally decided to build mine but I'm not a huge fan of the lines of the Slick so I bashed it into a Cap. Little bit of work left on the wing and then it will be ready to cover. Might I mention that I framed this up in 6 hours yesterday. Think I will plan to maiden it on Tuesday.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
View attachment 98589 View attachment 98590 View attachment 98591 View attachment 98592

So I cut a couple short kits a while back for me and some buddy's of the 35" UL Slick that a probro designed. Plane flys awesome. Finally decided to build mine but I'm not a huge fan of the lines of the Slick so I bashed it into a Cap. Little bit of work left on the wing and then it will be ready to cover. Might I mention that I framed this up in 6 hours yesterday. Think I will plan to maiden it on Tuesday.

Could you tell me the size of the carbon tube you used in the fuselage. Who did you get it from thanks.