• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Hi @Jetpainter looking at the plane you have a 61 mounted at 90 degrees. Often though of doing that but never did. Did you any difficulty balance side to side. And cowl clearance. Use to do that with all my glow four strokes they ran much better. Why did you do it.
The airplane was built 11 years ago by a friend. It was originally powered by a DA50 that was mounted this way per the instructions. With the location of the wing tube on this model the only practical way to use a canister is to mount it like this.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
I would LOVE to put one of those units in, but sadly I am renting and they did not approve for one of those. They did however approve for a new window and window unit....Yea dumb..... For the price I am paying for the window and the ac I could have had one of those.

My parents put those in their house in the bedrooms that didn't get cooled enough for the regular AC and you can almost ditch the normal AC unit having those in the house..... I love them.

Dang. That bums.

garlandk

100cc
Yes I am in AZ. I think I would prefer AC at this point. I had an ac window in my garage in Yuma AZ which is a lot hotter than Tucson AZ and it actually did very well. At this point the window is already paid for. I was wondering if the window units are better or the stand up units?

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I am having another window installed in my garage so I can put an AC unit in. The windows currently don't open. What would you guys recommend for the job AC wise?
Depends on the size of your garage. I have a 28' x 30' building with a 10' ceiling that I cool with a 24,000 btu 220 volt window unit. It does a pretty good job most days, but when it's 100 and humid I also run a 12,000 btu 110 volt unit. My building is insulated, but not all that well.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
A good rule of thumb for trying to determine what size / capacity AC to choose.....

12000 btuh for every 400 sqft of area that is non insulated other than the building material used.
12000 btuh for every 600 sqft of area that has insulation of at least R3. This is a "General rule".

There are numerous factors involved when doing a load calculation for properly sizing an AC or heat pump.
NSTM publications "Manual M"(commercial) and "Manual J"(residential) show the work sheets used in making proper calculations.

All unitary split system equipment is designed to achieve 12000 btuh cooling for every 400 cubic feet per minute of air flow the fan has. So if you have a 3 ton system the fan for the evaporator will be capable of 1200cfm. The rule of thumb above applies to this.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Got it back on the plane. Will get it to the car port for a re-tune in a bit!

20160606_211234.jpg

garlandk

100cc
Well I went to lowes and got this guy. I still need to go buy some reflective styrofoam to cover the Windows. Hopefully this will at least help a little. I know it feels amazing standing beside it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    40.3 KB · Views: 208
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 214

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Well I went to lowes and got this guy. I still need to go buy some reflective styrofoam to cover the Windows. Hopefully this will at least help a little. I know it feels amazing standing beside it.

A flying buddy of mine did the same thing for his plane hauler trailer. He keeps several turbine models comfortable :too-cool:.