• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
To let you all know.......That motor had issues from the get go. When I first assembled the plane the motor had metallic debris in it and I had cleaned it all out (at least I thought I did ). HK Turnigy motors such as the NTM, Motor Match and Prop Drive series are usually pretty decent. The motor used in the plane looks like a "Kontronic" which is made by "Hextronic" and from my experience have sucked. The plane is ok though and I have A bit more powerful motor for it and I will be making a different type motor mount for it and strengthening the front of the plane. Of all the "gear" servos, motor, speed ctrl (The speed control seems decent ) will now have been all changed out except speed control. It is a 70 amp opto with an attached 6 amp UBEC you can set to 5 or 6 volts.

I don't think it was a bearing failure but it may have been. I pain stakenly balanced the prop and spinner before and after painting and running it in the shop was pretty darn smooth. I amped the motor and it showed 58 amps which is probably a tad much for the CHEAP motor. New motor wont have a problem at all swinging a big prop. 16x8 is what is going on the new motor. At 500kv on 4 cells I doubt it will draw over 50 amps.

20160331_122539.jpg
20160331_122600.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Been going over my CHEAP HK plane and it's CHEAP motor........

Best I can tell the motor really could not handle the current the 130c 4s lipo threw at it with the 15x7 prop. It did 3d great with that prop and was a little beast until the motor blew. Fried egg sandwich and no cheeseburger:dancing-chicken:. Plane is unharmed and will do some mods over the next few days to "strengthen" things up because I CHEAP. But seriously the front of the plane is really weak and I can see multiple hard snaps to a pop top taking its toll and breaking off the front of the plane. Better yet! May be I should just get the Sig XA-41 built up Sbach? Nahhhhh I CHEAP!!!!

View attachment 53486 View attachment 53487 View attachment 53488 View attachment 53489
You're always talking about how cheap you are. Got ya beat. This is how I save those decals. Now that is cheap. Lol
20160330_171608.jpg
20160330_171628.jpg
20160330_171917.jpg
20160330_171940.jpg
20160330_173338.jpg
20160330_173517.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
You're always talking about how cheap you are. Got ya beat. This is how I save those decals. Now that is cheap. Lol
View attachment 53536 View attachment 53537 View attachment 53538 View attachment 53539 View attachment 53540 View attachment 53541
Ok I am as cheap as the next guy but I like this one you need to explane how you do that. See a lot of sticky tape and so on but what you are left with on the plane looks goooood. Let the rest of us cheap-skates now how to do it Pleeeeeaaaaase.
Looking at your rudder hinges can you tell me hoes they are need a few of them. Please

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok after a number of days and little bad language I have got this front turtle deck to fit exactly how I wanted to but trust me I mentally jumped on it a number of times. Split it and added a wedge to get the back wide enough and cut the front down 3/16 of an inch and sanded the bottom flat to the rear section. DONE.
Ok boys of to Toledo tomorrow to spend some $,s. Hope to see the new Fuel infected DA 120. Hope see a few of you guys there have fun.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 193

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Ok after a number of days and little bad language I have got this front turtle deck to fit exactly how I wanted to but trust me I mentally jumped on it a number of times. Split it and added a wedge to get the back wide enough and cut the front down 3/16 of an inch and sanded the bottom flat to the rear section. DONE.
Ok boys of to Toledo tomorrow to spend some $,s. Hope to see the new Fuel infected DA 120. Hope see a few of you guys there have fun.
Hey! That looks good! Nice job bro.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Ok I am as cheap as the next guy but I like this one you need to explane how you do that. See a lot of sticky tape and so on but what you are left with on the plane looks goooood. Let the rest of us cheap-skates now how to do it Pleeeeeaaaaase.
Looking at your rudder hinges can you tell me hoes they are need a few of them. Please
Clear packaging tape over the top of your decal. Heat gun or iron set to medium low heat. Warm the decal just a tad to soften the adhesive. Hobby knife to gently lift the edge of each numerical or letter. While pulling the tape, work your decal up. It can be monotonous, but hey, cheap is cheap right? Place decal on your desired placement and gently pull tape off decal. Slightly warm decal with iron...done. That's about it. About 5 to 10 minutes per decal.