• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
I got the DA70 mounted, roughed in igni., just throttle, and whatever @emtp275 is going to do with the pp's. The 70 won't stay in the Slick, just getting it on air frame so I can run some fuel threw her. I'm strongly leaning toward 94 MXS for her final home, but a few other air frames are on the list, depends alot on what is available at Nall.

Attachments

• DSCF5273.JPG
    DSCF5273.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 264
  • DSCF5274.JPG
    DSCF5274.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 237
I got the DA70 mounted, roughed in igni., just throttle, and whatever @emtp275 is going to do with the pp's. The 70 won't stay in the Slick, just getting it on air frame so I can run some fuel threw her. I'm strongly leaning toward 94 MXS for her final home, but a few other air frames are on the list, depends alot on what is available at Nall.

What engine is that? Is it new, how much is it, what are those blue thingies on the front, can I try it?

thurmma

150cc
I received the Dual Path add on for the DS-14 yesterday so, I installed the 2nd rx in the 330LX and got everything bound through the CB200. Took longer to make the extension for remotely locating the rx than it did to actually make it work. I am loving the Jeti more and more all the time :)

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I received the Dual Path add on for the DS-14 yesterday so, I installed the 2nd rx in the 330LX and got everything bound through the CB200. Took longer to make the extension for remotely locating the rx than it did to actually make it work. I am loving the Jeti more and more all the time :)
Looking for a new radio for over year and cannot make up my mind. What radio did you have before the Jeti. When you work on the Jeti would you be so kind to post pictures so that we can see the components and get familiar with Jeti.

thurmma

150cc
What radio did you have before the Jeti.
I have been an Airtronics fan for many years and still like them. I just ran out of channels with the SD-10GS. I went in at the entry level DS-14 Jeti because I didn't need all the bells and whistles of the DS-16. The 14 is $795 from Espritmodel.com and came with a free case, nice one at that. Then I added the modules that I wanted for about another $87.00. If you are not running HV, you still need to run regulators to keep the input voltages down. I decided to run the Central Box 200, which has dual power inputs, dual rx inputs and up to 15 assignable pins, channels in other radio talk. One thing I hated with the other radios is that you always had at least a couple of servo leads that had to go to the other side of the rx and made wiring look like a mess. With the CB200 you just plug a servo into the closest port and assign it to the function of the tx that you want. One of the other really cool features is you do all of the programming for the Central Box and any rx's remotely from the tx! As far as telemetry goes, all you have to do is pick up the sensors, plug them into the Central Box, refresh the data stream and it is logging and also talking to you if you wish :) I have the tx set to tell me the cylinder temps once every 30 seconds for now since I am still breaking in a new engine. I am researching how to set an alarm in case the temps get to hot before the next readout occurs.

I could try to get screen shots and upload them but, the best place to go for really good videos on actually setting up the radio and all that it can do is http://shop.jetiusa.com/Articles.asp?ID=260

I have watched a ton of the videos while setting up the new radio.

FYI, I was going to pick up a Futaba 14SG and was comparing prices to outfit 2 40% planes and a wing and by the time I figured out all of the costs involved, the Jeti was about $100 more. I have had a friends 18MZ in my hands and thought it felt nice but, once I held the Jeti it was game over. It is a little heavier but, it has a good feel to it. The only thing that took a bit of getting used to was the placement of the trim buttons. They are in either the lower right or lower left corner of the sticks. It only took a couple of flights to realize that this was a LOT nicer than trying to reach across sticks to get to the trim buttons on my older radios.

IMO, if you ever get a chance to hold one, you will be buying one :)

One other thing, I know this may sound cliche but, I have never had a tx that made me feel like I was flying the plane with a direct connection. The plane responds so much different than it used to. Now when I move a stick, there is instant response from the plane :)

Also, you can move the switches if you don't like where they are at on the radio. I didn't think this was a big deal but, I am already planning on swapping a couple of the 3 way switches with the standard switch positions to better suit my needs.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I have been an Airtronics fan for many years and still like them. I just ran out of channels with the SD-10GS. I went in at the entry level DS-14 Jeti because I didn't need all the bells and whistles of the DS-16. The 14 is $795 from Espritmodel.com and came with a free case, nice one at that. Then I added the modules that I wanted for about another $87.00. If you are not running HV, you still need to run regulators to keep the input voltages down. I decided to run the Central Box 200, which has dual power inputs, dual rx inputs and up to 15 assignable pins, channels in other radio talk. One thing I hated with the other radios is that you always had at least a couple of servo leads that had to go to the other side of the rx and made wiring look like a mess. With the CB200 you just plug a servo into the closest port and assign it to the function of the tx that you want. One of the other really cool features is you do all of the programming for the Central Box and any rx's remotely from the tx! As far as telemetry goes, all you have to do is pick up the sensors, plug them into the Central Box, refresh the data stream and it is logging and also talking to you if you wish :) I have the tx set to tell me the cylinder temps once every 30 seconds for now since I am still breaking in a new engine. I am researching how to set an alarm in case the temps get to hot before the next readout occurs.

I could try to get screen shots and upload them but, the best place to go for really good videos on actually setting up the radio and all that it can do is http://shop.jetiusa.com/Articles.asp?ID=260

I have watched a ton of the videos while setting up the new radio.

FYI, I was going to pick up a Futaba 14SG and was comparing prices to outfit 2 40% planes and a wing and by the time I figured out all of the costs involved, the Jeti was about $100 more. I have had a friends 18MZ in my hands and thought it felt nice but, once I held the Jeti it was game over. It is a little heavier but, it has a good feel to it. The only thing that took a bit of getting used to was the placement of the trim buttons. They are in either the lower right or lower left corner of the sticks. It only took a couple of flights to realize that this was a LOT nicer than trying to reach across sticks to get to the trim buttons on my older radios.

IMO, if you ever get a chance to hold one, you will be buying one :)

One other thing, I know this may sound cliche but, I have never had a tx that made me feel like I was flying the plane with a direct connection. The plane responds so much different than it used to. Now when I move a stick, there is instant response from the plane :)

Also, you can move the switches if you don't like where they are at on the radio. I didn't think this was a big deal but, I am already planning on swapping a couple of the 3 way switches with the standard switch positions to better suit my needs.
Thanks for taking the time to write all that and it was very informative. It was interesting that you bought the DS14 and not the DS 16. When talking to some people on the network every body is saying get the DS16 and I did not see the reason for that much more money. Presently I am flying with JR 10x and JR 12x both old radios and looking to upgrade, will need a number of recievers.. I will definitely take another long look at the DS14 and read all the specifics. Was also looking at the new futaba 12sz I belive at about $1000.00.
Thanks for the link.