• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Speaking of DLG's, Frank Noll was flying one of these at our event Rolla MO.

http://dream-flight.com/products/libelle-dlg

He was getting some impressive flight times considering the calm cool conditions.

Funny story.....He let me fly it and I almost crashed it! The Whipit is two channel with rudder and elevator on the right stick. Well, Frank's Libelle has ailerons. So when I went to steer it with the right stick it rolled inverted! Luckily I had plenty of elevation to roll out of it and recover.
I can't imagine crashing a plane that belongs to an R/C legend! :confused:

BalsaDust

Nice! Those little guys are a total blast.:way_to_go:

What kind of flight times are you getting out of yours? Yesterday I had a best of about 40 seconds but was averaging around 20 seconds. Mind you this was the first time I had ever flown a glider and have no clue at all what I'm doing looking for thermals.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
What kind of flight times are you getting out of yours? Yesterday I had a best of about 40 seconds but was averaging around 20 seconds. Mind you this was the first time I had ever flown a glider and have no clue at all what I'm doing looking for thermals.

I think 60 seconds is the longest I've managed so far. I need to take it somewhere besides my back yard. I think if I got it our in the open where I could really fling the crap out of it I could do much better. And if you can find even a small slope with favorable winds I think that would be just the ticket. I've seen youtube vids with some pretty long flight times.

Main thing I've learned is to go real easy on the elevator. Too much up elevator really kills your momentum.

thurmma

150cc
Decided that I needed more gas for the 170, so I added a second 32oz tank :) Just waiting on tees to get here today to finish it up!

EdgeTanks.jpg

BalsaDust

I think 60 seconds is the longest I've managed so far. I need to take it somewhere besides my back yard. I think if I got it our in the open where I could really fling the crap out of it I could do much better. And if you can find even a small slope with favorable winds I think that would be just the ticket. I've seen youtube vids with some pretty long flight times.

Main thing I've learned is to go real easy on the elevator. Too much up elevator really kills your momentum.

Yeah I ended up cutting foam so I could move my battery forward another 3/16". Seemed tail heavy to me. Agree on the elevator. Took it out to a local park and found some light thermals. Got one flight a little over two minutes.

BalsaDust

image.jpg

Four more flights this morning and I broke it on the last flight. Got to comfortable down low and it smacked the ground. At an angle. Pretty much only broke glue joints. Version two will get a 3/8" thick fuse. To much twist in the 1/4" and the wing can carry the weight. Full flight report this evening in the going out flying thread once I get videos uploaded.