• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

TonyHallo

150cc
I built this Giles 300 from Ohio RC plans, pretty sure the rights were owned by a company called ProModel when I built it. It was a very nice flying plane as I recall, no bad habits. The wings, stabilizer, rudder and turtle deck were all cut from foam rather the the built up design. It is no longer with us!
100_0209.JPG

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I built this Giles 300 from Ohio RC plans, pretty sure the rights were owned by a company called ProModel when I built it. It was a very nice flying plane as I recall, no bad habits. The wings, stabilizer, rudder and turtle deck were all cut from foam rather the the built up design. It is no longer with us!View attachment 113812
Nice looking plane from looking at the plane it is a later date than the one I am looking at building what gives it away is the size and length of the ailerons. The date on my drawings are 1993 and that is also the date it was purchased. I delive we are not talking about the same company but they do have the same name.

BalsaDust

drew up a couple options of vintage style wheels for the plane I'm designing. they are designed in two halves so I can 3D print them and will use 2-1/2" tires or if I come across some of the printable rubber then I can print them as well. If anyone would like the files I will be more than happy to share once I have a successful print and know they fit like I would like them to.
dished wheel.PNG
dished wheel2.PNG
spoked wheel metal.PNG
spoked wheel wood rim.PNG

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Like the spoke wheel. Nicely done , how light will they be. Wonder if you could use a “O” ring.
If I may suggest the spokes on the centre hub need to be offset to the wheel for lateral support.

Last edited:

BalsaDust

Like the spoke wheel. Nicely done , how light will they be. Wonder if you could use a “O” ring.
If I may suggest the spokes on the centre hub need to be offset to the wheel for lateral support.
I have it setup to print in two halves to make it print better. My plan for tires is the cheap hobby king ones I have to just pull the foam tires off and use it on here. I wanted to have the offset but I actually think the way it would print would make it weaker. I plan to draw one with it offset though and try it at some point just to see. According to the slicer software it will use 8 grams of plastic to print one complete wheel.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I have it setup to print in two halves to make it print better. My plan for tires is the cheap hobby king ones I have to just pull the foam tires off and use it on here. I wanted to have the offset but I actually think the way it would print would make it weaker. I plan to draw one with it offset though and try it at some point just to see. According to the slicer software it will use 8 grams of plastic to print one complete wheel.

I have some TPU, I need to start making tires for fun. Haven't even attempted to use the stuff yet. You'd think if a guy used the correct type of infill you could make an airless tire.I've wondered about the tires the military was putting on hummers or the space rovers. A guy could make an interesting tire.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
This is what happens when you are house bound. Was just checking out all my batteries to see if they are still at storage voltage and all looks ok. While looking at them I said a nice pouch would make life a little easier. Cut up an old canvas bag I had, this is what happened to it.
3DCF4C88-723B-4703-AA0F-C5976593B3CF.jpeg

Last edited: