• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

BalsaDust

Photo of where I got on the fuse today. Tomorrow I will try to finish up the hatch tomorrow then I can start filling in all the sticks in the tail.

Also was happy to see when I put my wheel on the scale that I printed that it’s only 3.2 grams heavier. Got a few changes to make it it and I think I can get the weight to be almost even.
FE945693-F49E-41F3-A04E-F8EE9BCC4E56.jpeg
884E012E-E38F-4DD6-9152-EA16F028A2A9.jpeg
8B32357C-9A1E-4236-919A-A17644C902C8.jpeg

Attachments

• FD577607-DDF3-4886-942D-A4D00B90DB65.jpeg
    FD577607-DDF3-4886-942D-A4D00B90DB65.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 174
  • 524B2613-BAA4-4902-998C-66BD9DF82840.jpeg
    524B2613-BAA4-4902-998C-66BD9DF82840.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 212

Wild man

70cc twin V2
@Wild man what type of paint have you been using on your UMX planes? Got my umx timber masked off and ready for paint just trying to decide what paint to use.
I have been using Rust-Oleum 2X Painter's Touch (Paint+Primer) Our Ace hardware had the stuff on sale 2 cans for $7.00 bucks so I stocked up on it various colors, in Gloss, Santin and Flat colors. I picked up 20 cans. I should have enough to last me for awhile LOL!!!! Make sure if you use this paint stay back atleast 1 1-2 ft from your project the accelerator they use in the can if you get to close the first light coat may melt the foam. I have not had this happen yet but there are a few that have.
orange.jpg

BalsaDust

I have been using Rust-Oleum 2X Painter's Touch (Paint+Primer) Our Ace hardware had the stuff on sale 2 cans for $7.00 bucks so I stocked up on it various colors, in Gloss, Santin and Flat colors. I picked up 20 cans. I should have enough to last me for awhile LOL!!!! Make sure if you use this paint stay back atleast 1 1-2 ft from your project the accelerator they use in the can if you get to close the first light coat may melt the foam. I have not had this happen yet but there are a few that have.
View attachment 113862

Thanks, I reckon I will use the spray paint I have on hand then. I was thinking you may have been using something that you didn't have to worry about an accelerant in. Stay tuned for a new and improved UMX Timber in the coming days.

Wild man

70cc twin V2
I've liked the Krylon Fusion. But yes, light coat first is the tip for success there.
I have and actually use both. The Krylon and the Rust-Oleum with the same results, just depends on what I can get the best price for it. The Rust-Oleum does have a larger selection of Colors though, at least in the stores around here

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well spent the last two days do an extensive testing on three LiPo battery packs. I have small PA-Addiction that uses 3 cell 2200mAh batteries.
So what I wanted to know was how the three batteries compared to one another. Two were from TP one one was 55c and the second was 70c ( expensive)at 2250 mAh, and the one from PA also 3 cell 2200 mAh and rated at 40c.
Note the PA battery is four seasons old and the TP are one season old.
All three packs were cycled once, then balanced charged to 4.2 volts.
Then discharged down to 3.5 volts per cell as a pack.
Believe it or not the PA pack out performed the two TP packs better voltage throughout the discharge and more capacity. On top of that the 55c TP was better than the 70c pack .
My conclusion is never to buy TP packs again and all the C rating is nonsense. Just buy the cheapest packs at the moment and everything will be great.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
After spending some time messing around with some of my batteries all the different plugs were just getting under my skin and I needed to make some changes. We just have to many different kinds. But today I decided to totally eliminate one off them and it was the Anderson plug don’t get me wrong good plug but just to many variations. Will try to eliminate the E3 and E5 plugs at a later date and try to work with XT 60 and Deans only. They all work but the Anderson are big and the E plugs are pain to build.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
After spending some time messing around with some of my batteries all the different plugs were just getting under my skin and I needed to make some changes. We just have to many different kinds. But today I decided to totally eliminate one off them and it was the Anderson plug don’t get me wrong good plug but just to many variations. Will try to eliminate the E3 and E5 plugs at a later date and try to work with XT 60 and Deans only. They all work but the Anderson are big and the E plugs are pain to build.
I did that sometime back. Now I have only two types, Universal and XT60. The Universal is on Li-ion and Li-Fe type typically with dual plugs and the XT60 is Li-Po, the Lipos are in ARF's and the other are in scale. Really did simplify things a lot!