• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
All I did tonight was move airplanes around so the heating and cooling company will have room to change our AC system tomorrow.
I got that call on the way back from the flying field Sunday. 90 something humid day at the field and come home to no AC. That will make your day let me tell you. And when the service guy tells you the compressor is bad and since it's R22 refrigerant which is an EPA no no now and the furnace is 35 years old so they really need to change everything at the low low price of $7700.:face-palm:

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
All I did tonight was move airplanes around so the heating and cooling company will have room to change our AC system tomorrow.
I got that call on the way back from the flying field Sunday. 90 something humid day at the field and come home to no AC. That will make your day let me tell you. And when the service guy tells you the compressor is bad and since it's R22 refrigerant which is an EPA no no now and the furnace is 35 years old so they really need to change everything at the low low price of $7700.:face-palm:

Ouch.... I always feel like those companies are just there to kick you when your down. Feels more like theft than a service sometimes. I have no problem paying the guys to replace what ever when I cant do it myself, but I regularly see a 300% increase of part cost here from what I can get online from many retail stores. So when you need it yesterday... boy I feel your pain bud. That's like TWO 90" model airplanes worth there! Glue a prop onto it and make up an experimental airplane N# for it to make you feel better.....

pawnshopmike

Staff member

Dammit man. Going with a heat pump? On the plus side, if you’re system is 35 years old, you should see a significant savings on your energy bill. Plus it will increase the value of your house.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
You and I suffering from the same problem myAC died a week ago, could not find any one to help everyone was busy. Found a person got me going but had no guaranty on how long. The system is only 9 years old and have been told it is not worth fixing. Got a couple of quotations all between $7 and $8 thousand for a replacement. Hopefully the air will get me to the end of September and then hopefully the furnace to the spring, then replace everything.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Dammit man. Going with a heat pump? On the plus side, if you’re system is 35 years old, you should see a significant savings on your energy bill. Plus it will increase the value of your house.
They say the life expectancy of a heat pump is 10 to 15 years depending on who you talk to. The first one lasted 19 years and the second lasted 16 years. The electric heat/air handler section is 35 years old so we tend to get our use out of things.

They were there a 8 this morning to start on it. I have a 90 and a 95 year old in the house so unfortunately I couldn't shop around endlessly finding a better deal. Heat indexes this week are 105+ so I needed to get it done asap. I bought a window unit and a portable so it hasn't been bad at all so far, but starting today there is an excessive heat warning in our area.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
AC?? WHAA??? We have a glacier in the mountains. cold air descends and flushes the heat from the valley away. Why don't you guys just get a friggin glacier? We had upper 80's last month, hottest June on record. Fans were sold out at every store.
Mendenhall-Glacier-Juneau-Alaska.WaterMarked.jpg

tailskid

70cc twin V2
We are pushing 115 F today....guess I am NOT going flying....but I did 'try' and make my own CF mat....came out pretty good, just got to figure how to cut it! Aviation snips only work so far into the mat....suggestions?

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
We are pushing 115 F today....guess I am NOT going flying....but I did 'try' and make my own CF mat....came out pretty good, just got to figure how to cut it! Aviation snips only work so far into the mat....suggestions?

Gotta be careful with cutting any glass. snips may make it de laminate. I'd suggest a hack saw with a hardened metal blade, or a bandsaw

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Cut it before it is fully cured.