• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC The new Dalton 300 SP / 330

WMcNabb

150cc
Last one for the evening...make that two!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Tom, how do you cut out the curved area on the covering, for example, the white two stripes, towards the back of the fuselage, on the side?
or is the white under, and the blue is on top? Even then, how did you cut the blue like that, what is your system?

IMG_20140207_143424.jpg
Tom, how do you cut out the curved area on the covering, for example, the white two stripes, towards the back of the fuselage, on the side?
or is the white under, and the blue is on top? Even then, how did you cut the blue like that, what is your system?

Cam,
In 2014 I built for myself two Dalton 260's, both with the same scheme, only swapped the locations of the Blue and Red. Both aircraft are covered in Monokote using Metallic Red, Sapphire Blue and White and I hand cut all of the shapes. The method I used for the most difficult part of the scheme, the fuse, was to basically tape together 1/16"x6"x36" sheets of balsa and wrap and tape (kind of re-sheeting) it around the finished sheeted fuse and then use "ship curves" or sometimes called "body curves" (large clear plastic drawing curves) to draw my pattern out. I then took those balsa sheets and using xacto knife and the ships curves cut my template's from the 1/16 balsa. I placed the balsa template on the Monokote, traced it and then again with the help of the ship curves cut the covering. For the smaller shapes on the rest of the aircraft I used the white backing paper from old Ultracote covering to draw my templates. I have labeled and kept all of the templates for future aircraft. Do to the complexity of the scheme, much of the aircraft is Monokote over Monokote. So in the case of the rear part of the fuse, from the rear of the canopy back, I covered it all with white Monokote first then cut the blue sweeps and used the Windex method to lay it down.

Ben, all full scale Extra 330's are low wing, the only mid-wing Extra's are the 230, 260 and the first gen 300. Starting with the 300 S and 300 L they all became low wing.

I guess my question is more if the 330 Tony and Cam are referring to are going to be low-wing or mid-wing.

The Pilot 330SC is a mid-wing model and all of Tony's Extra designs are mid-wing so I'm curious if another low-wing is in the works to go with the Yak 54.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
If one looks closely at the full scale 330SC you'll see that the ailerons have a "reverse" taper, with the chord near the root less than that at towards the tips. Not counting the aerodynamic balances. Those, of course make it look even more exaggerated than they are.

Also....they are really a low-mid wing....not a true low-winged airplane, but that is splitting hairs! ;)

I guess my question is more if the 330 Tony and Cam are referring to are going to be low-wing or mid-wing.

The Pilot 330SC is a mid-wing model and all of Tony's Extra designs are mid-wing so I'm curious if another low-wing is in the works to go with the Yak 54.

Ben,
What Cam and I have are 300 SP's, that means the wing like the full scale is mid-fuse. Not sure if Tony is planning on making a 330 SC (single cockpit) low mid wing or not. Do not see any advantage for a low mid wing if precision aerobatics are the goal.

As for Pilot's 330 SC, it really should be called a 300 SP. The wing location is much too high in terms of being IMAC legal as a "330 SP". The full scale 330 SP has the wing about 33% high on the fuse cross section, in order to be within "legal 10% IMAC rule" the wing could be no higher that 43% high on the fuse cross center. As an comparison, the original full scale Extra 260 and 300 the wing placement is really a "high" mid-wing as the centerline is about at the 65% fuse cross section. When Pilot came out with their "330 SP" I thought it should have been called "300 SP".

BTW, our canopy's came in today, I'll take some pictures tomorrow back at the build.

Tom