• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC The new Dalton 300 SP / 330

the other stab is curing now. Once it is cured, I will remove and sand down.

I believe this new method of Tony's for the stabs will be awesome!
Now, the end of the stab tube is solid fixed, so no more play.
IMG_0570.JPG
IMG_0571.JPG

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
"burn the foam into a depression" can you please explain how you did this. And if you have any pictures. Thanks. Please understand I am no expert done very little vacuum bagging but did discover that when vacuum bagging that I needed to glue the the end caps on afterwards. When vacuum bagging the foam depressed slightly because the wooden end piece does not compress the same. If you how to avoid this please let me know how.

"burn the foam into a depression" can you please explain how you did this. And if you have any pictures. Thanks. Please understand I am no expert done very little vacuum bagging but did discover that when vacuum bagging that I needed to glue the the end caps on afterwards. When vacuum bagging the foam depressed slightly because the wooden end piece does not compress the same. If you how to avoid this please let me know how.

ouch, I just got back from the shop. I was unaware....
Well, we will find out soon.

I began to sheet only one side of one stab only, as a test. This was, of course, before I read the post by Snoopy, and right now, it is in the vacuum bag.

Well, i can go back and remove it from the bag. Let me run back there and see what it looks like.

Thanks Snoopy for the heads up. Makes perfect sense what you said. Be back soon with a report.

(I am a virgin with regards to vacuum bagging, so any advice will be appreciated)

IMG_0577.JPG
IMG_0578.JPG

Ok, Snoopy, so far, it looks good. One question for you Snoopy, what pressure was yours sets on?
If it is 18 mm Hg, might be too much pressure. I think all we need is 5 to 8 mm Hg.
Let me find out for sure.
I just adjusted mine down from 18 to 8 or so. Let me run back there and check at where it is.

WOW!! Success!!

I am convinced and a convert!

This bagging technique is the bomb!

:yesss:

I was able to sheet the top surface of the left stab. and This is awesome!
I am stoked!
:brian-banana:

What a bond. Wish i had done this in the past. It is money well spent in the investment of this pump and bags and all.

I sanded the edges flush with the foam, and then installed the left stab onto the fuselage, and it is noted there is no gap between the stab root and the fuselage.
IMG_0579.JPG
IMG_0580.JPG

Wanted to demonstrate the bond between the balsa sheeting and the plywood cap. It is fantastic. no gaps at all. I also did not experience the depression of the wood or the sheeting at the interface between the foam and the cap, as mentioned by Snoopy. I am thinking, maybe, he did it with too much vacuum pressure.

IMG_0581.JPG
IMG_0582.JPG

I will be doing the undersurface soon, and then on to the other stab.

Once that is done, I will glue on the leading edge, trailing edge, then I can sand it smooth and set the incidence.

IMG_0583.JPG

best regards

Cam

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
18!!!!!!!! Should be 6-7. I have my pump shut off at 9 because it has a 4 hg swing between cycles. So my pump stops just outside of the range but spends 90% of it's time in the range of correct vacuum. I'd suggest doing a quick browse through my thread: http://giantscalenews.com/threads/demystifying-vacuum-bagging-of-foam-wings.1309/

Also, I would HIGHLY advise not bagging one side of any of the flat surfaces at one time. Anytime you laminate something it needs to be an odd number of layers or it WILL warp. Since you did one side of your stab I hop you immediately do the other side to save it, if you leave it out for a day or even several hours it will warp from one end to the other especially since we are laminating with wood.

Even parts like the belly pan, canopy deck and turtle deck will cup a little towards the wood side but since those are curved parts it's not as bad. I've done sample lay-ups of stabs on one side, let it set for a day and it was cupping by 1/4" in the middle.