• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The I'm going out flying thread 2016

Robotech

70cc twin V2
Okay...do you fly much on Sundays? My work schedule gets overloaded sometimes and I'm forced to work Saturdays which leaves only Sunday to fly. Is there a noise ordinance at either club? My 37.5% Pilot Yak is fairly loud with the Xoar prop...
Weather permitting we fly every Sunday. No noise restrictions at either field. I was running std. exhaust on my DA170 a few months back and my daughter could hear it from the parking lot of the law firm she works for. It's on 6th St. downtown.:fist_pump:

Mikeq

150cc
That's makin' a statement. LOL...

Yeah Rob....mine is so loud that people from a shopping center a couple miles away came to our field thinking it was a full scale plane. I keep thinking someone would come and complain but so far so good...When I get around to getting the cans I will probably change props also...don't want to press my luck.. that 170 rips the 32-10 really good..

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
You'll probably find that with cans or tuned exhaust, that 32x10 will be shreaded to fiberglass slivers. Thankfully though my 157 and 176 are doing the same with the props mounted up front, I don't have to worry about any noise restrictions. But I still throttle them back in all out level flight.

Mikeq

150cc
Not sure why it is so loud but I also had an Xoar on my DLE-111 and it was loud also..put a Falcon on it and it wasn't nearly as noisy. I don't WOT too much. I intended to use the 32-10 as a break in prop but it pulls the sh#t out of the plane being so light weight so maybe it's really too much engine for that plane. Guess I should have went with a 150...

flycanic

70cc twin V2
Talk about LOAD!!! Here is a photo of two planes that belonged to a very good friend of mine. As a Manufacture of guns in Sturgis SD and with the C&C laths he has, made Stainless Steel Straight pipes for the two The Aero-Works has a DA 100 with straight pipes and the Aviation models Yak has a DA 85 with a straight pipe NOOOIIISYYY notice he is covering his ears the 85 is running. We put on an Airshow in Sturgis at a City Safety Fair a few years ago. People said they could here the planes from the Interstate LOL!!!! The noise brought in people from over a 3 mile radius. You can see the type of safety straps we use to safely secure our planes while starting, and running up very simple and inexpensive IM003480.JPG

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
That strap is similar to the one I use. I bought a 12 foot length of 2" strap material from the local D and B here. I had "D" rings sewn onto the ends and also purchased two steel stakes that are 12" long to secure it all down. Most generally there are friends at the field when I take the big boys out. But when I'm alone, it is nice to know my planes aren't gonna "GIT" me when I start them up.

flycanic

70cc twin V2
We picked up this method from the Billings Flying Mustangs around ten years ago. On the 35 and 40 centers they were using a long length of soft nylon rope, doubled back around a chain link fence post looped around the wings same thing the Flying Cowboys in Sheridan Wyo. Have been using also. You City Slickers can learn a lot from us Cowboys out here in Big Sky Country. LAND OF GOD, GUNS, GRITS, and GRAVY!!!!