• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The I'm going out flying thread 2016

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Well this weekend was a total wreck.......

First up on Friday, the 40% decided to call it quits when I pulled out of a hover. She got 30 feet up and the engine died- best educated guess is because of how rich the engine is that it loaded up when I was torque rolling and when I went wide open she quit, I was going to begin setting the needles after this flight but obviously didn't get there. Joe Mitchell is going to take a look at the engine and confirm what we suspect, hopefully the damage to the engine is minimal. The damage to the airplane isn't bad, a new cowl, some repair to the wing tip, and a new motor box and she'll be back in action. That was an expensive learning mistake but you all know how this hobby goes sometimes :rolleyes:

15053412_10211968469154005_1977744932_o.jpg

Saturday seemed to go off without a hitch, I flew my 107" Yak harder than I have ever flown an airplane before. Went to unwind with the new buggy and broke the pull start before she even got running..

15025148_10211996357331192_2092943418856782837_o.jpg

Lastly, today, probably the most epic thing I've ever done was drag the side of my rudder in a rolling harrier. Of course I broke the counterbalance loose on my brand new rudder and had to repair it... The repair turned out horrible, I won't even show it :ugh!: Guess I need to buy another rudder :rolleyes:

15110425_10211992739920759_3599090088747281868_o.jpg

One of those weekends.... :oblong:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!

First up on Friday, the 40% decided to call it quits when I pulled out of a hover. She got 30 feet up and the engine died- best educated guess is because of how rich the engine is that it loaded up when I was torque rolling and when I went wide open she quit, I was going to begin setting the needles after this flight but obviously didn't get there. Joe Mitchell is going to take a look at the engine and confirm what we suspect, hopefully the damage to the engine is minimal. The damage to the airplane isn't bad, a new cowl, some repair to the wing tip, and a new motor box and she'll be back in action. That was an expensive learning mistake but you all know how this hobby goes sometimes :rolleyes:

View attachment 91469

Saturday seemed to go off without a hitch, I flew my 107" Yak harder than I have ever flown an airplane before. Went to unwind with the new buggy and broke the pull start before she even got running..

View attachment 91472

Lastly, today, probably the most epic thing I've ever done was drag the side of my rudder in a rolling harrier. Of course I broke the counterbalance loose on my brand new rudder and had to repair it... The repair turned out horrible, I won't even show it :ugh!: Guess I need to buy another rudder :rolleyes:

View attachment 91475

Dang, sorry for your "not so good" luck this weekend. Heck of a way to spend a weekend huh?

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
We had a guy at the field today that had luck like that. Crashed two, and had a pretty new DLE120 quit in flight on a third, and when they landed and went and got it the motor wouldn't turn over.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I found out today how not to do a Lomcovak with my Pilot Edge:) I've been entering them from a right rudder knife edge then going left. Today I found out NOT to enter it with too much speed. If you do the airplane comes to an IMMEDIATE stop. No tumble, no spin, no anything. It just pitches the tail up and stops instantly. It happened twice, and I have no idea how it didn't break anything. It certainly doesn't look healthy for the airframe.;)

thurmma

150cc
Took this new to me plane out today. Picked it up Saturday at a fun fly and put it in the air this afternoon :) The first flight was about as hair raising as they can get. I didn't bother to check the cg because I was using the same size batteries as the previous owner and had it where he had his batteries. BIG mistake. First time ever flying a biplane, new to me plane, very tail heavy made for an exciting first flight. I managed to get her back on the ground and shoved the battery another inch forward and took to the air again. Much better experience the next 3 flights :) Was greasing landings by the end of the afternoon. I believe there is a thrust issue with the plane though. When I let up on the throttle it climbs, a lot. When I go full throttle it dives to the ground. I can roll inverted at about half throttle and it will climb out on its own.

20161113_170017.jpg 20161113_170033_001.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I found out today how not to do a Lomcovak with my Pilot Edge:) I've been entering them from a right rudder knife edge then going left. Today I found out NOT to enter it with too much speed. If you do the airplane comes to an IMMEDIATE stop. No tumble, no spin, no anything. It just pitches the tail up and stops instantly. It happened twice, and I have no idea how it didn't break anything. It certainly doesn't look healthy for the airframe.;)
Keep on wondering. But don't worry. Both my Pilot Edges were tough as nails. I honestly and intentionally tried everything I could....including FULL power dives into blenders. Pretty exciting to watch. LOL LOL....but no breaky-breaky. Hee hee.... Love Pilot airframes.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp

View attachment 91469

View attachment 91472

View attachment 91475

Sorry to see that the only thing I can say you have to time to fix it during the winter months.