• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The I'm going out flying thread 2016

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
We had a slight reprieve in the thunderstorms passing through the valley yesterday, so we got out and did some flying. My son got a chance to re-maiden his new Pilot 50cc Yak. First initial flight was a bit spooky. Something went amiss with the radio system he was using and nearly drilled it in about one and half minutes into the very first flight. Fortunately we discovered a quick cure and got it down safely. Since then the radio system has been changed out back to the good ole reliable Hitec Aurora. We put three good flights on her yesterday, with not even a glitch. Heck, I even got to fly, (huck) it a bit. Brought her down for some on the deck action. What a sweet flying plane. If I were in the market for another smaller plane, I think I would seriously consider another small Yak. I think I have my son convinced that "ROUND" planes is cool.
happy-nodding-smiley-face-emoticon.gif

Ah but not all our trips to the field have been without incident. Baby stubbed her toe a bit yesterday. I was up doing some rolling harriers and "woosh".... something black fell off of her. And as I watched it plumet to the ground, I could only imagine the worse. I brought her around to set her down... and it was then I realized what had came off.
shocked-smiley-emoticon.gif
She was missing her right main wheel. Doah...now how do I do this? Ah heck, no worries. Waved off for a go around, slowed her down....just before touch down I rocked her just slightly left to put her down on the left main wheel and the tail gear. As she slowed down, the right landing gear sat down nice and gently on the wheel pant. As she came to a stop, my heart started beating again. LOL

20160507_210901.jpg
20160507_210922.jpg

Well heck, guess I have to get another wheel and wheel pant.
forehead-slap-smiley-emoticon.gif

One of the other times out, Shayne and I had the big birds up doing some goofing off. The Hangar 9 vs. the PAU Edge. We've gotten a little brave lately. One of us will pull into a hover and the other will do loops around the hovering plane. We're just Idaho spuds here. So this is like lots of fun to us. Big 40%er's being treated like 50cc planes. LOL. We did come home with some "MINOR" damage from that day of flying. We do fly close together and usually have no problems. This time however, it seems a certain 32x11 Falcon just had to play "tag" with his Edge elevator. Whoa.... LOL

20160507_195957.jpg
20160507_200017.jpg

Who ever says you can't huck a big plane with a 4 cylinder 222 has never done it good like we do.
phew-smiley-emoticon.gif
It definitely was a close call.

Last edited:

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I got out today too! The weather was iffy so I took my trusty T-Rex 550e helicopter. The wind is less of an issue than with an airplane, and if the rain comes it's easier to get under cover.

It was the first time I'd flown a heli this year. I brought it home in one piece so it was a good day!

js-rc

70cc twin V2
I got out today also !! I got two really goods flights on my 40center today at the field that everyone calls a short field !! It's only 550 feet long but this big Extra came in there like a trainer !! I have the 31 X 10 W on it & it looks like it is slowing it down nicely !! I only flew it 4 times at the other field so now I have 6 flights on her !! I guess bigger planes do fly better, ha !!
Thanks, John !!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I flew Friday, Saturday and Sunday at the Wrightsville AR IMAC contest also. Had a blast and as @Robotech said, great people and a great contest.
That is so awesome Mark. You and Robert no doubt had a great time. The more I pay attention, the more I feel a change in local would be good. Lol
I actually got to fly both days this weekend. . . . . . :dancing-chicken:
Well, you mean we're all to believe you actually got some flying in? Good for you. It's about time. :laughing: