• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The I'm going out flying thread 2016

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Sorry to see that Robert. I think you will have tip top in no time. Monocoat is funny stuff some times. When I restored my BIL's
Chipmunk I thought the Monocoat was going to be brittle after being in a hot attic for over 16 years. I was wrong. I think UV has something to do with it. I know guys who leave there covered projects in the sun to "cure" mostly have this "brittle" problem. Not proof positive but a lot of coincidence from my experience.

225.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Lol. It said "Geez, just shoot me now."

I picked Monocote for two reasons. One, for it opacity and finish and two, for it's durability. Now I find out it that it sucks.

I don't know though, this incident notwithstanding, I still think it's tougher than Ultracote.
I just had to flip Kelly some doo doo. Lol.

My son really likes Mono for the same reasons as you. He just recently did a complete recover on his PAU 43% Edge using Monokote. (After 45 flights, the original covering was pulling loose and coming off) Picture for picture, you absolutely can not tell the difference and would swear it was factory. With one exception. It is much brighter. We did compare the two coverings not long ago. New rolls of Monokote for his Edge and the new rolls of Ultracote for my big Yak. The differences we found is Mono is a much thinner film than the Ultra. Now whether it's due to adhesive or something else, just not sure. But the Ultra seems heavier in design. Weight difference was so negligible you almost can't see the advantage of one verses the other. Plyability on the other hand indicated a big difference. The Ultra seemed to conform a little better around complex corners and turtle deck to fin transition. And lay down heat differences are very opposing. Monokote seems to require more heat to get a nice seal and look nice. Ultracote does not seem to require much heat for the adhesive to activate. As for tinsel strength, I don't see one having an advantage over the other. I believe a lot of the ease of application is totally dependant upon an individual's personal preferences. I can't stand Monokote. And everything I've covered with it I'd wished I had used Ultracote. My son on the other hand loves it and that big Edge is living testiment to his ability to lay that stuff down well. Monokote does have some brilliant color selections. Ultra has some nice colors too. But I go for more of the not so shiny and brilliant finish. I think it all comes down to what a person likes. There ain't no shame in that Sukhoi of yours that's for sure. It turned out so amazing I found myself fighting desperately with the notion of recovering mine. Though mine still looks like it just came our of the boxes.

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I went out yesterday afternoon after finishing up work related commitments. It was about 60*, medium crosswind at my back, Blue skies and the whole place to my self to bear down and practice sequences.

First flight, geez, do I even know how to fly? Landed to refuel and found a problem with no explanation and no recourse but to pack it in. I stripped the top of the wing last night but I still don't know WTF happened. There is no wood damage, the bottom covering is untouched, and the wing is solid and stiff. Makes me nervous.

View attachment 53051 View attachment 53052
Your dilemma got me wondering. I seem to be very inquisitive lately. LOL. Thought I would share what I found. For the record, not knocking anyone who chooses one over the other. Just found this interesting. A simple search of Ultracote vs. Monokote brought up scores of thoughts and opinions.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1632110
http://www.craftsclassic.com/11_37f88b06008f13fe_1.htm

Robotech

70cc twin V2
Hmmm. One of the stated "drawbacks" of Monocote seems to be getting it to stick down and get wrinkles out. I have to say, and I have used a bunch of Ultracote, that I had absolutely no trouble getting it to stick and getting out any wrinkles that showed up. I would maybe give the edge to Ultracote on wingtips though. Ultracote sags and develops secondary wrinkles much easier when out at the field and in the sun probably due to it's low heat characteristic. Ford or Chevy I guess.

Since this is a flying thread and I got it off topic I have posted tonight's results over in the workshop thread.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hmmm. One of the stated "drawbacks" of Monocote seems to be getting it to stick down and get wrinkles out. I have to say, and I have used a bunch of Ultracote, that I had absolutely no trouble getting it to stick and getting out any wrinkles that showed up. I would maybe give the edge to Ultracote on wingtips though. Ultracote sags and develops secondary wrinkles much easier when out at the field and in the sun probably due to it's low heat characteristic. Ford or Chevy I guess.

Since this is a flying thread and I got it off topic I have posted tonight's results over in the workshop thread.
Ford or Chevy? Zactley. Either way...it's all good. Discussions are great yes?